Another VPN Question

Thread: Another VPN Question

Another VPN Question

If you have seen my other thread, we have problems with the VPN occassionaly dropping. Well I am more concerned about the dropping, while they are more concerned about getting bounced out of MSN messenger for 30 seconds when they sign in and out of VPN.
    Soo.... I being asked to look into a way to see if they can use their local internet connection instead of the VPN to stay connected to MSN messenger. My co-worker insists there is a way.. I can not even think how that would even work.. but I told him I would look into it..

So the whole goal is to not have them sign in and out of MSN messenger when they sign in and out of VPN.

Now you can see where a small business's priorities are..

uhuh... have your co-worker tell you more about this solution... like where s/he heard about it and what you have to do to implement it...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Properties of the VPN connection, Networking tab, double-click TCP/IP, Advanced button, uncheck Use default gateway on remote network.

I think this is what they are referring to.

If it is checked then all requests for internet will pass through the vpn tunnel to the company router, out to the internet, then all the way back again. Unchecked means that internet traffic flows as normal through their internet connection whilst VPN traffic only goes through the VPN tunnel.

Hope this helps.

emr

emr, that didn't work for me when I tried... but then it was 2k about 2 years ago and I have no one at the moment to vpn to to test it... I hope it does work.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    emr, that didn't work for me when I tried... but then it was 2k about 2 years ago and I have no one at the moment to vpn to to test it... I hope it does work.
    Works for me when I am travelling and want to vpn to my server then use RRAS on the server to vpn through to a client.

XP and 2k3 Server.

I have two different connections for that reason. One using the default gateway on the remote server so I can get to clients without thinking about it and one without so it doesn't slow down internet browsing when not doing remote support but still needing to vpn to have access to other network resources like Exchange, etc.

emr

Quote Originally Posted by emr
    Properties of the VPN connection, Networking tab, double-click TCP/IP, Advanced button, uncheck Use default gateway on remote network.

I think this is what they are referring to.

If it is checked then all requests for internet will pass through the vpn tunnel to the company router, out to the internet, then all the way back again. Unchecked means that internet traffic flows as normal through their internet connection whilst VPN traffic only goes through the VPN tunnel.

Hope this helps.

emr
    Sorry for the late reply, things got a bit hecktic here at work.. but That was what we were looking for! You are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Moostang
    Sorry for the late reply, things got a bit hecktic here at work.. but That was what we were looking for! You are awesome!
    Glad to have been of help.

emr

emr>

Any idea how to make that amazing trick work with Cisco VPN Client?

cheers,
    joe

Quote Originally Posted by joey3k
    emr>

Any idea how to make that amazing trick work with Cisco VPN Client?

cheers,
    joe
    Nope, I have never worked with Cisco VPN. Got to be a way to do it though; have you checked in the networking portion of the settings?

How about using split tunneling on the Cisco setup?

In a VPN context, split tunneling is the term used to describe a multiple-branch networking path. A tunnel is split when some network traffic is sent to the VPN server and other traffic is sent directly to the remote location without passing through the VPN server.

http://www.cites.uiuc.edu/vpn/splittunneling.html

This link describes it. I Have never used a cisco VPN but this could be what your looking for.