Computer turns self off and on or just off!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Computer turns self off and on or just off!!

Hi, the video card from my 6 year old Win 98 computer wasn't a good idea to put in my other computer. I thought I was going to have to shoot it to put it out of its misery. It didn't like it at all. Anyway, I unplugged everything except the a and c drive and so far so good, but the temp is still the same when its idling at 141 F.

Also, I have been running the video test again just to see what would happen and nothing has happened for over 30 minutes now. I turned off the computer and replugged the slave drive and the 2 dvd drives and left the zip drive unplugged. I will do some serious photo editing and then see what happens. Again, thanks so much for your help in the past.

It finally happened. I was surfing the net and the blue screen popped up and this is what it said............Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL..... ..then it went on to say at the bottom....afd.sys-address EFEBB665 base at EFEBB000, DateStamp 41107eb5. Then I hit the button to turn off the computer and it wouldn't start back up for about 15 minutes as before. I hope this helps with the problem now.

OK, for definite it's a driver that's causing the problem... AFD.sys is part of the network drivers - specifically the TCP/IP stack.

Possibilities:
    You have or had spyware/viruses/trojans that corrupted the tcp/ip stack
    You have a network adapter that is causing similar problems

What do you use for anti- virus?

First firs, get your XP cd - put it in the drive and click start, run and type in
    SFC /SCANNOW
    click ok

XP will ask to reboot to perform the check - follow the wizard.

This will put back the orginal files... which means that you will need to visit windows update again afterwards.

See how that goes.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have Norton and its updated and on at all times. I did the scannow and half way through it, the computer shut down and I have tried 3 different times since then and can't get it to make it 1/4 of the way through without the computer shutting down. At this point I am ready to reinstall windows, BUT I need to burn a few files on CD before I can do that and it won't let me do that either. When ever I put the cd in the driver, it shuts down. I have a brand new hd and was wondering if I can take out the mast hd and replace it with the new one and then start the Windows xp cd and reinstall windows. Do you have to have the new hd reconized before I can reinstall windows? And if that worked would be able to use the old master hd as the slave hd and get my files off of it or will there be a problem of the OS being on both drives? Then I can reformat the old drive after that. HELP!!!!

Perfect solution... you need the new hard drive to be recognised by bios - then boot from cd and xp will install, after you agree to the EULA and it copies a bunch of files, it will request a partition on which to install windows.
    At that screen you can create the partition(s) you need and format the one you are going to put windows on.

I personally always create a 10-15gb partition just for windows and the major programs like office. All the data I put on a separate partition so that if I ever need to reinstall windows (assuming my hard drive is ok) I will not lose any data.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."