Compaq Presario SR1000

Thread: Compaq Presario SR1000

Compaq Presario SR1000

Hi All
    I have a Compaq Presario SR1000 in for repair. Tha customer purchased it 2 months ago. She tried to install Norton Go Back but it got stuck half way through so she turned of the machine. When she used it again it kept coming up with errors so she called me in. She is very picky and wants the machine to work perfectly fine. I sorted out the Norton Go Back problem but she wasn't happy that it had gone wrong and wanted me to set the machine back to the factory settings. So from within the O/S I started the Compaq recovery software, to which the machine shut down and then kept going in loops round the Safe Mode screen. I tried all optins but it still would not start. I then tried pressing the F10 key on the Compaq flash screen at boot to start the recovry process. This does absolutly nothing. The ESC and F1 keys work fine. I have also tried a differant keyboard. After speaking to Compaq they want me to pay another £30 for some recovery disc's as the machine didn't come with any and the customer didn't create any.

So I guess what I am tring to say is, is there any way other than mentioned above to start the recovery process on the compaq machine?

Thanks for your help.

Gary

Silly question but which model SR1000? Looks like there are about 74 to choose from.
    http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...esario+SR1000+

Select the appropriate model and you might be able to find some good info.

Which version of Windows is being used?

When the red Compaq logo is displayed on the monitor (see Figure 1), press the F10 or F1 key on the keyboard to enter the BIOS.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...dlc=en&lang=en

Which version of Norton Go Back? Go here for links for NGB 4.0:
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/ngb...005_tasks.html

One link suggested a possible BIOS incompatibility:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...0&csm=no&tpre=

Let us know how it ends up. Good Luck!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Hi DonJ

Thanks for your advice.

The Answers are as follows.

As for the model number that is all it says on the back of the PC SR1000. I to found all those results when I looked on the HP web site.

Windows XP Home is being used.

As I said in my first post pressing F10 doesn't do anything. F1 takes you into the BIOS.

As for Norton Go Back when I tried to use it it told me that a recovery was allready being done. I assume the one I started in the Operating system when I could get into it at the start.

As for the possible BIOS incompatibility problems I am still looking into it.

I was wondering if anyone know of any boot disc I could use that would then initiate the recovery process from the hidden drive.

Thanks again

Gary

Compaq Presario Desktop PCs - How to Perform a System Recovery

The system recovery program offers two recovery options: Standard Recovery (non- destructive) or Full System Recovery (destructive). Both recovery options require the recovery CD-ROMs that came with your Presario desktop.
    If the customer doesn't have these disks, then you may have to buckle down and get those from HP/Compaq. Pass the cost on to your customer and then let her have those disks as she will end up paying for them.

Also, Compaq Presario Desktop PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number?

Many Compaq Presarios are identified on the front of the computer by a series number rather than the actual model number. For example, your Presario may be labeled with 5000 on the front of the case, but it is actually part of a 5000 series PC. The correct model number may be 5WV283.
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Thanks DonJ but been to both of the above already.

I think the only option’s I have got is to buy the discs or perform a new install with a window disc.

Thanks anyway for your suggestions.