17 58.62%
  • I am not sure

3 10.34%
  • No, It is totally Illegal

9 31.03%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bit Torrent

Bit Torrent

Was wondering what people think about Bit Torrent. For those who dont know Bit Torrent is a downloader for "Torrents" that people make. Such as somebody puts a whole CD in a Torrent and posts it on the web and anyone can download it. This can be done with movies,games,music,etc. I myself have not tryed it but ive heard alot about it around school. So do you guys think this is illegal like when kazza was doing free downloads or do you think that it is perfectly legal that a person makes a torrent from a CD they bought and posts it on the web for others to download?
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:
    * 5 pounds red potatoes* 6 eggs*2 cups mayonnaise
    * 1 onion, diced* 2 green onions, thinly sliced
    * 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced* 2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Bittorrent is 100% legal.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Im totally with you but many people i talk to think im going to get "pinched" by the man for downloading MP3's
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS
    If you can guess what it makes then your life shall be filled with happiness and your stomach filled with joy

INGREDIENTS:

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Salad
    So do you guys think this is illegal like when kazza was doing free downloads or do you think that it is perfectly legal that a person makes a torrent from a CD they bought and posts it on the web for others to download?
    It isn't the software that's illegal, it's how you use it. Either downloading copyrighted materials or making copyrighted materials available for others to download without the permission of the copyright owner is illegal. Period.

Well what about Lime Wire? the goverment has busted that up yet and i havent heard anything on the news about people getting busted. It goes along the same premisice as Bit Torrent. Anyways the people are buying the software themselves and thus doing what people have been doing for a while now. Sharing files.
    THE KEY TO HAPPINESS

INGREDIENTS:

BitTorrent is different than what P2P applications have been.

www.3dgamers.com ; www.autopatcher.com and a host of other sites offer 100% Legal content for people who use BT. Its 1 reason that they use it, bandwidth savings, tremendous bandwidth savings I should say.
    Last edited by TechZ; November 6th, 2005 at 04:32 AM.

If someone comes into your house - is it illegal? No, unless they didn't have permission... in which case it is. It is, as RGHarper pointed out, entirely down to the circumstances. If people illegally put copyright material on the net, does that make you (the downloader) have to download it? No... you choose whether or not to steal whether it be an apple from a display outside a shop or a copyright file on the internet.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Oops I meant to hit the first choice not the illegal one.

Like was already pointed out. Its legal, how you use it can be illegal.

manually adjusted just for you lar...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    manually adjusted just for you lar...
    Thank you

Like most people have stated here, it comes down to usage. Pretty much anything *Can* be used illegaly. Here in canada, they took a different stand then what the USA has taken.

The judge who precided the case used a simple analogy: A photocopier in a libary can be used for legal and illegal purposes, most of the material in the building is copyrighted. Does that mean we should ban all photocopiers in all libraries cause they can be used for illegal reasons?

The end result, it's legal to download material here in canada, even copyrighted material. It's illegal to host or provide this material to others. (the legalities may have changed since i last checked in on it)

Now, personaly, i use bit torrent rarely, but i do use it, mainly with downloads of linux ISO's for mucking with.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Salad
    Well what about Lime Wire? the goverment has busted that up yet and i havent heard anything on the news about people getting busted.
    You haven't?

Every week the papers report stories about people getting heavily fined for file swapping! There was an amnesty but that seems to have gone by the board recently.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/12...iaa_sues_more/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/05...eize_dorm_pcs/

Even over here in Europe people are being prosecuted now..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/3722428.stm

If you hunt around there are hundreds of cases reported against individuals, as well as the very highly publicised ones against Kazaa, WinMx, Limwewire et al....

John
    Now where did I leave my Lump Hammer?

"I thought I was wrong once" - "But I was wrong"

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Gotta agree with the masses. It's like a gun. Having and using it is not illegal, but I can also use it illegally.

I have perfectly legal steak knives and baseball bats, but if I use them to kill my noisey neighbors, then they become murder weapons. The attempts to regulate and criminalize specific software reminds me of the attempts to criminalize specific firearms, etc. It can't be done. The responsibility lies with the use of the item, as has been so correctly identified here.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

I would love to know which 4 members thought it illegal...