Microsoft Wireless Keyboard not working --mouse working though..

Thread: Microsoft Wireless Keyboard not working --mouse working though..

Microsoft Wireless Keyboard not working --mouse working though..

I didn't know where else to post this haha. So here's my problem, I was playing a game, and suddenly, my keyboard just stops working. I've replaced the batterie with brand new ones, and it still doesn't work. I haven't tested it on my other system yet, but I will. I have the Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop with the Wireless Optical Mouse and Wireless Multimedia Keyboard. I've also tried using USB instead of PS/2, and still nothing...

Stupid question but did you make sure you reconnected the keyboard to the reciever with the connect buttons on both keyboard and reciever in the correct order.

Yes, definitely.

Have you uninstalled the drivers in safe mode, then reinstalled them?

Test the keyboard on another system. I did have a wireless desktop apparently die this way before, the keyboard and mouse where fine, it was the transceiver unit that died.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OK, I'm sure you rebooted the machine and only the mouse worked? Sometimes, one of my computers won't detect the keyboard on a reboot. So I re-reboot and everything is fine. It is also possible that the keyboard driver (and not the mouse driver) has been corrupted and may need to be reloaded. You'll have to do it from a wired (PS/2 preferred over USB) keyboard. If the keyboard still tanks, its bad.

I don't think I installed any drivers for my wireless keyboard.

Srcrewy as it may sound, MS has IntelliType software for your keyboard, and IntelliPoint software for your mouse. Installing software for the combo should have set up both, but it doesn't always happen. Browse the CD and run the IntelliType setup setup, just to be safe, but I still think the keyboard is defective.

The keyboard doesn't work on the other system. I think my keyboard is dead.

MS are very good at warranty replacements... is the keyboard still in warranty?

Before contacting them ensure you try everything here

then look here for "call our contact centre" - the page you are directed to will differ based on your computer's country code.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I've had it happen once or twice where people put the batteries in the wrong way round... I'm not an electrician and don't understand the concept or rules but when I turn them around it seems to work. Also in certain situations rolling the batteries a bit can sometimes help.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Batteries are direct current, so it matters which way round they are. In AC current the positive switches back and forth (hence alternating). In batteries that doesn't happen, so if they are the wrong way round they simply don't work... worse, in older equipement it could actually blow the circuit board it was powering.

Wow, so I was right not even knowing what I was talking about? Go me!
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

I'll make you feel even better now, & tell you that by rolling the batteries about in your hand, you were increasing their temperature & thus the chemical reaction which creates the current & thus squeezing the last bit of life out of any failing ones, so right on that too !

OMG!

*buys a lottery ticket*

:P