Locking Shortcut Icon

Thread: Locking Shortcut Icon

Locking Shortcut Icon

Is there a way to lock a shortcut icon where another user cannot see the path or other settings of the icon

Will need to use user profiles
    James

What windows rookie?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie
    Is there a way to lock a shortcut icon where another user cannot see the path or other settings of the icon
    You can use a GPO to prohibit right-click. That's about the only thing I can think of and there may be other ways to get around it even then.

emr

If you're using Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro (not sure about Home) you can edit the permissions of the shortcut and take away the 'read' rights. (You will probably have to turn off inheritance first though.)

If you're using Windows 9x or ME, you're pretty much SOL, as even with disabling the right click someone can hit Alt+Enter while a file is highlighted and see the file's properties.

--Stryfe
    Please insert volume 'BRAIN' and press any key to continue.

/me often wonders why there isn't a minimum IQ requirement to use a computer.

I am using Windows 2000 in one computer and XP in another, could you advise what is "GPO" Thanks....

Group Policy Objects... a method of enforcing a network wide policy to groups of users.

However, you don't sound as if you have a network with policies.... so you will need to use local policies....

Both windows 2000 and xp have user logins. By far the easiest way to prevent someone using a shortcut is to make them have their own login and remove the shortcut from their desktop... leaving the icon on the desktop of the user that is authorised to use it.

Tell us a bit more about your users and the network setup you have...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have several dbase set up in my computer where co-worker access via shortcut icons I have set up in their computer. recently, I found out that someone had too much time on them and decided to go snooping into the folder where the dbase reside and messing with its content (using the link on the shortcut). I figur that if I could hide the link, prying eyes would have a harder time snooping.... Thanks

so, this authorised user is abusing the folder? Do they need access to this database?

Ya, he does. He was having problem with connecting to the dbase. Instead of asking for help, he decided to solve the problem himself. I have since enabled the hidden property to the file, but I was hoping to hid the path so that this would not happen again....Thanks

You could set up an environmental variable which points to the database, then alter the icon to just point to the variable... then prevent the user seeing the environmental settings.... but there is the issue that the user could just remember where the database is or do a search for it.