Is there a difference between 20 pin and 20+4 pin power supply connector?

Thread: Is there a difference between 20 pin and 20+4 pin power supply connector?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Is there a difference between 20 pin and 20+4 pin power supply connector?

I want to stock only one model and would like it to be a 20+4 pin so I can use it on any computer. Is the only difference between 20 and 20+4 that the additional 4 pin 12 volt connector is detachable or is there a real power specification difference? In other words is a 20+4 pin going to work fine on the mobos that need a 24 pin connector?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

The 20+4 power supply with the removable 4-pin extension cable will work interchangeably with either the 20-pin supply or the 24-pin supply. The only thing you need to watch for is the older 4-pin motherboard connector - not all 20/24 convertable supplies also come with that connector.

You can buy the additional converter cable very cheaply though .. pennies almost literally

I have a big stack of them & sata power converters also

BUT it has gotten much harder to plan for this, so I can definately see the point of the question , but so far I don't agree with Mr Harpers statement -
    The 20+4 power supply with the removable 4-pin extension cable will work interchangeably with either the 20-pin supply or the 24-pin supply..
    & I quote this as evidence, as I haven't time just now to offer a 'confus-ed explanation' - but I'm sure for once the enquirer actually has his facts straight

Oh, let's not forget those wonderful Dell 24 pin power supplies that aren't compatible with anything else on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Oh, let's not forget those wonderful Dell 24 pin power supplies that aren't compatible with anything else on the planet.
    I must disagree. Dell is actually sticking to the ATX and ATX2 power pin-outs on their PSUs. At least for the newer systems. Older systems were (and are) proprietary and a complete pain in the arse to work on.

--Lavos
    Please insert volume 'BRAIN' and press any key to continue.

/me often wonders why there isn't a minimum IQ requirement to use a computer.

Yes, Stryfe, but you know the ones I mean, and the 20 pin abominations too.