XP Pro Installation Error
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XP Pro Installation Error

Unhappy XP Pro Installation Error

I'm trying to install Windows XP Professional on my desktop computer, but after the first reboot during installation (while Installing Drivers with about 34 minutes remaining) I get a blue error screen with a Stop message saying "STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF7AC1604, 0xF8988DD8, 0xF8988AD4)" then giving the file name nv4_mini.sys.

Since the computer was new, the hard drive died so I got a new one. It seems to work fine and has plenty of space.

A friend told me to flash the BIOS, because he had the same problem and that fixed it. I did this, getting the BIOS update directly from Gateway (where the computer was bought from), and it didn't help.

I contacted Gateway support, and they gave me this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;330182

I'm guessing I either have to disable the caching or shadowing options in the BIOS or disable the driver the error message is telling me to, but I have no idea how to do either.

Welcome to Windrivers Koiby

the ms kb article 330182

First question are you doing a new installation or attempting an upgrade? I'm guessing upgrade - if so, you need to remove/uninstall the current video driver before upgrading.

What version XP Pro? Original, SP1 or SP2?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, I've read that article. It's actually the one I was linking to, which didn't work for some reason. I'm doing a new installation to original XP Pro.

Going back to the error message did you also get something like
    SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

or IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO

or other equally inpenetrable message?

After you flashed the bios, did you reset the bios to defaults or use the jumper to reset cmos?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

No, I didn't get that. The error was...

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF7AC1604, 0xF8988DD8, 0xF8988AD4)

*** nv4_mini.sys - Address F7AC1640 base at F7A60000, DateStamp 4074b958

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by KB330182
    Method 5: Remove all third-party drivers
    Nv4_mini.sys is part of an nvidia driver - so is this still in windows setup ? Or are you now at the 'adding additional' drivers stage ? (same reasoning as Noo earlier - this oughtn't to be there 'yet' in windows setup, if you did a 'clean' install {format & fdisk first, or as you appear to be from a new drive with no pre-existing windoze install})

As I said...
    Quote Originally Posted by Koiby
    ...after the first reboot during installation (while Installing Drivers with about 34 minutes remaining) I get a blue error screen...

ok so much searching later I've now convinced myself that Nv4_mini.sys is actually present on the xp cd, which I didn't think it was ! (only in some additional driver file from Nvidia) hence the 'dumb' question ..

Since the computer was new..
    Why are we solving this, infact why are you solving it, surley gateway should be ?

Actually that's not what I meant... I should have been more clear. The computer was new, and after a few years the hard drive it came with died. So I got a new hard drive and I'm trying to install Windows on it now. I think it might have had XP Home on it before, but I only have XP Pro.

Ok there's a few technical whatsits to think about, so rather than ask lots of very nerdy things about bios dates & full acpi compliance , can you tell us the gateway model details, which'll probably answer most of 'em ..

Model is 700x, which I've heard kinda sucks (I didn't actually pick this one out, my dad bought it a few years ago).

Ok so having looked I seem to think you are right & this'll have shipped with xp home on it originally, using pro shouldn't make a difference, in terms of installation. (by way of 'explain' to get xp going you need a compliant bios designed for it{xp})..

..If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is complete, the computer BIOS may be incompatible with Windows..
    What M$ have missed out of this statement, is that certain bios settings may also need to be set (they can't really say in all fairness as it depends on the machine) & the usual candidate for this is a value called 'acpi' - & without boring you too much, this decides how devices in your pc share its internal resources - generally xp would like that ON, but it may be set off, or quite the otherway around, & xp for this machine would prefer it off & by flashing the bios you set it on ..

So re-boot & hit 'del', 'f1','f2' etc (whatever accesses bios, it usually tells you ) 'lots' just as it goes 'beep' (posts - which is like the pc doing an audit & saying 'good to go') - root about & see if you can find this value - its most likely under 'advanced' or in power management somewhere's - whatever value it has, try the other, save your changes & have another go ..

Well, I found this ACPI under Power, and in that there you could set ACPI Suspend State to S3 State or S1 State. Neither changed anything after installing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Koiby
    Well, I found this ACPI under Power, and in that there you could set ACPI Suspend State to S3 State or S1 State. Neither changed anything after installing again.
    That's not the right entry, that's controlling 'sleep state'{standby options} ( a function of acpi) have another look , you want one that sets it on or off, or allocates an IRQ number to it - bioses all vary, so its tricky for me to be more precise, sorry !
    (there's a chance its not laballed as that, entries such as 'plug & play o/s installed - y/n' have the effect I want .. we need to change the way windows will decide about about shared resources)

I can't find anything like that on this computer. I've looked on other computers' BIOS's and they all have the Plug and Play OS thing. Mine is the only one that doesn't. :P