Dont know whats wrong help!!!

Thread: Dont know whats wrong help!!!

Dont know whats wrong help!!!

I decided to turn on my computer yesterday only to find out that the computer turns out but the ASUS A7N8X-X motherboard wont load then I think maybe one of my hardrives burnt out, I take my slave drive out it works fine, then I think maybe its a faulty power plug and I plug my slave drive back in and change power plugs and then it works untill its time to load Windows then the motherboard just restarts over and over again so I say well Im not going to try and break it so ill remove the slave drive and i turn the computer back on with the slave drive unpluged and I have the original problem of the motherboard not booting any ideas did i burn my other hard drive out or is it a problem with my mother board or did I even burn my slave drive out in the first place?

Welcome to Windrivers, Mezzo.

Try clearing CMOS on the motherboard. See page 1-11 in your manual. Asus calls it "clear RTC RAM".

Post back to let us know if this works. Good Luck!
    What evil lurks in the hearts of computers? Only The Noo Noo knows!!!

Tried that but it didnt work could it be the power source do you think, I know its not my hard drives now because i unplugged all cd drives floppy drives and hardrives from the motherboard, its not the modem or video card either and I tested the monitor with a diferent computer, do you think the motherboard died?

driver de valuebook VA5500... thank's

Quote Originally Posted by gontijosousa
    driver de valuebook VA5500... thank's
    Huh?

Sounds like you unplugged everything except the motherboard and cleared the CMOS. That only leaves two components... oops, three. The power supply and the motherboard... and the RAM. New Egg has several power supply testers, I'm sure other supply houses do too. A very handy tool to have. Or if you have a multimeter, you can test output voltages. For a pinout look here . jumper the green wire (term 14) and one of the black ones. That will turn the p/s on. Or the easy way is to substitute a known good power supply.

Sorry, I gotta ask, 'cause I've done it myself. But are you positive that the black rocker switch on the back of the power supply is depressed toward the I. I've been so disgusted a couple of times when I belatedly noticed that that bloomin' switch was OFF! (It's not hard to bump it off whilst turning the unit around or laying it on its side.) Also in "the easy to overlook" category... is the plug labeled pwr on the correct two pins on the motherboard?

I just looked at the manual, and there is an LED between the last two PCI slots that indicates standby power. (may not be much help)

My system: A7N8X-X, Athlon XP 2800+, 512MB of Mushkin RAM, 2 80 GB Seagate SATA hard drives.

Let us know how you get on!

Sorry, I'm having afterthoughts.

If you have your system speaker connected to the Mainboard, do you get any beeps? Look Here for Award bios beep code. One long and two short for video problem - anything else is RAM trouble. Excepting one short beep - that's good.

I fixed it! Im not for sure really what the problem was but when I cleared the CMOS i had the ide cords pluged in so when I took them out my computer booted as normal, after restoring my motherboard settings and plugging all my hard drives and cd drives in it works as if a problem never occured. thanks for the advice im really thankful

I'm proud of you, Mezzo. Can't imagine what was different this time, but every so often, that happens to me - that I don't know what it was that fixed something. I prefer to know what it was, but I can be happy with the success anyway. All's well that ends well!!
    Cheers,
    Dean

edit, if this happens again, get new IDE cables.
    Last edited by dfritz; November 19th, 2005 at 02:12 PM.