can avg and firefox (extensions) update mechanisms go around proxies?

Thread: can avg and firefox (extensions) update mechanisms go around proxies?

can avg and firefox (extensions) update mechanisms go around proxies?

Hi everyone. Question: Can updates for free apps like AVG Anti-Virus and Firefox (extensions/themes) get around proxy servers? A colleague works in a government agency that uses a proxy server to connect the agency's PCs to the Internet. Just this week, the agency installed a new server supposedly to prevent viruses from being downloaded. Unfortunately, it also prevents automatic updates for AVG and even Firefox extensions.

I already talked to the folks at the IT, they just said they'll "look into it." The thing is, my colleague's freaking out because AVG won't update. Manual updating still works, but it's hard for my colleague to teach his non-techie officemates how to download what file, where to place it, etc. Besides, he just taught them to set their AVG to download/install updates automatically upon Windows startup.

The PCs in the affected office run WinXP SP2, generally have between 128-256mb ram (though i don't think this is a factor), and have been downloading/installing AVG/XP updates regularly before the new server was installed. They also use Firefox 1.0.7, with extensions Gmail notifier 0.5.2.1 and Reminderfox 0.5.8.2. Firefox's update mechanism can still detect updates, but when it tries to download the updates, the error message "Not a valid install file" appears.

Btw, when the new server was installed, all downloads (even PDFs) will go through a filter of sorts. Before the download window opens, the browser will display a progress bar of the download, and the text inside the window reads 'secure download.' When download is completed, the status bar will indicate the downloaded file is being scanned by Kapersky and BitDefender. Only after the double scanning will the user be prompted to save the file to disk. If the save option is selected, only then will the download window appear.
    Funny thing is, email attachments thru yahoo/hotmail/gmail still manage to get in, even if they contain viruses. My colleague found this out when he already downloaded an attachment - and his AVG antivirus sounded off, warning him the attachment was infected.

Barring the improbable prospect of an early solution from the IT folks, I would now have to ask if there is any way to get around the proxy. How do I tweak port settings, etc.? Much as I don't like breaking rules, the new "security" system at this government agency is beginning to stink.
    I'm really open to suggestions. Thanks.

If you're really open to suggestions, my best one is "DON'T!" I find it difficult to believe that any government agency doesn't use some centrally managed AV solution like Symantec Antivirus Corporate and let's individuals run POS AV software like AVG. Your attempts to help only undermine the IT department's attempts at planning and security.

Hi slgrieb, thanks for the suggestion! Good thing too, because i bumped into the IT people this morning. They said they just installed the new server, which includes Kaspersky and BitDefender as part of security. Turns out they're still fine-tuning which sites to "exempt" from blocking. They agreed to add AVG's site to the list, so hopefully i'll find out Monday if the AVG update works again.
    But i do appreciate your advice. It saved me from a lot of embarrassment. I also did not ask if they had a centrally managed AV solution, that would be outright interference.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    With AVG, you can choose where to pull the update from. Your friend could download the update, and place it in a folder, and then manually have the other people "pull" the update from there. It's in the options?. When you first install AVG, it asks you that very question, where to look for updates. Just an fyi.
    Sergeant WOTPP