UMAX 2100U

Thread: UMAX 2100U

Question UMAX 2100U

Hey guys... a friend needs some help with a Umax scanner he just bought... here is his description of th problem. Can anyone help?

[quote]I've got a Dell Deminsion 4100 and I just bought a Umax Astra 2100U scanner (USB) and this b!+c# just won't work. Umax tech support is at least a 20 minute wait minimum.

It's a semi documented problem (that I'm just now finding out) that the new chipset in the 4100s are a little too fast for this scanner but supposedly, they have been made to work.

Plug and Play sees the scanner and installs the drivers for it but the scanner software can't find the scanner.

Things I've tried:

• New USB cable.
    • Downloaded new drivers.
    • Opened an issue with Dell (still no call back).
    • Opened and issue with UMAX.

I think I might be screwed on this one and just might have to take it back. I only paid $39 for it so I guess I can't expect munch. Just had to vent while I'm on infinite hold with Umax which is only 9-5 central so I get instructions and try them and then call these bastards back the next day.....<hr></blockquote>

Any help is appreciated!
    "Motivation is not enough. You can motivate an idiot.. But then... all you have... is a motivated idiot."

What OS is he running?

Angry

I believe he's running Win98 SE. He stated that he checked Dell's website for the latest BIOS drivers, and chipset drivers. He aslo uninstalled the software, went into Safe Mode and deleted the scanner from device manager, reinstalled the software and hardware and still a no go.
    "Motivation is not enough. You can motivate an idiot.. But then... all you have... is a motivated idiot."

Is there any chance he's running this on a MB with a VIA chipset and could use to install the latest VIA all in 1?