Upgrading CPU
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading CPU

Registered User Trainshed Terry's Avatar

Exclamation Upgrading CPU

Hello,

I am considering upgrading my CPU on my desk top which at the moment has the following CPU in.

CPU Properties:
    CPU Type Intel Celeron, 2600 MHz (26 x 100)
    CPU Alias Northwood-128
    CPU Stepping D1
    Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2
    Original Clock 2600 MHz
    Min / Max CPU Multiplier 26x / 26x
    Engineering Sample No
    L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
    L1 Data Cache 8 KB
    L2 Cache 128 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info:
    Package Type 478 Pin uPGA
    Package Size 3.50 cm x 3.50 cm
    Transistors 55 million
    Process Technology 6M, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu, Low-K
    Die Size 131 mm2
    Core Voltage 1.525 V
    I/O Voltage 1.525 V
    Typical Power 52.8 - 68.4 W (depending on clock speed)
    Maximum Power 67 - 87 W (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer:
    Company Name Intel Corporation
    Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm

CPU Utilization:
    CPU #1 0 %

The one I would like to upgrade to the following CPU.
    Intel Celeron 345 3.0Ghz 256KB 533MHZ 478p.

Intel Celeron D 345
    Socket 478.
    Clock Speed 3.06Ghz
    Bus Speed 533Mhz
    Cache Memory L2 Advanced Transfer Cache - 256 KB

Could you please advise me if I could hit any problems in upgrading to this CPU.

If it possible I would like to hang onto the old CPU for a project some time in the future.

Thank You
    Terry.

We would need to know your motherboard make & model as well, because you are upgrading to a Celeron D, I dont think all Socket 478 motherboards support that.

Lightbulb Mother Board Info

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    We would need to know your motherboard make & model as well, because you are upgrading to a Celeron D, I don't think all Socket 478 motherboards support that.
    Here is the information regarding the mother board hope that it is off help

Motherboard Properties:
    Motherboard ID 62-1029-001199-00101111-040201-SiS650$NECC000_8SIMLNF V1.0K
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-8SIML

Front Side Bus Properties:
    Bus Type Intel NetBurst
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 100 MHz (QDR)
    Effective Clock 400 MHz
    Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
    Bus Type SiS MuTIOL
    Bus Width 16-bit

Motherboard Physical Info:
    CPU Sockets/Slots 1
    Expansion Slots 3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR
    RAM Slots 2 DIMM
    Integrated Devices Audio, Video, LAN
    Form Factor Micro ATX
    Motherboard Size 230 mm x 240 mm
    Motherboard Chipset SiS650
    Extra Features EasyTune III

Motherboard Manufacturer:
    Company Name Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    Product Information http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/...oduct_List.htm
    BIOS Download http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/.../BIOS_List.htm

If I can not use the CPU that I first mentioned please could you advise me on which would be the ideal CPU to install.

Thank You.
    Terry

From what I've read about that board, (and I'm sure it will tell you in the manual as well), it can only take Pentium 4's and Celerons, that are 400MHz bus based.

CPU Support List:
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...Rev%202.0).htm

So basically, short of switching to a Pentium4 (400MHz bus based) CPU, which should give you a decent performance difference, you are at the limit for the board.

Exclamation Dose That me NO!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    From what I've read about that board, (and I'm sure it will tell you in the manual as well), it can only take Pentium 4's and Celerons, that are 400MHz bus based.

CPU Support List:
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...Rev%202.0).htm

So basically, short of switching to a Pentium4 (400MHz bus based) CPU, which should give you a decent performance difference, you are at the limit for the board.
    AAGGHHH!!!, Could you please confirm that the answer you have sent me that the current motherboard can not take the upgrade CPU that I would like to install, and if Ihave read the listing that you sent me the motherboard that I currently use is undertesting.

I have just looked in Packard Bell info center and found the following, I hope that it helps to answer the question.

CPU Support
    Socket mPGA 478B
    Supports Intel® Pentium 4™ FC-PGA2 processor (Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array), 1.4 to 2.5 GHz
    Supports 100 MHz data bus support (400 MHz using Quad-bumped technology)
    Supports 133 MHz data bus support (533 MHz using Quad-bumped technology)

Here are the spec of the motherboard.

COLUMBIA MOTHERBOARD SPECIFICATIONS
    Form Factor
    µATX 24.4 x 22.9 cm
    CPU Support
    Socket mPGA 478B
    Supports Intel® Pentium 4™ FC-PGA2 processor (Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array), 1.4 to 2.5 GHz
    Supports 100 MHz data bus support (400 MHz using Quad-bumped technology)
    Supports 133 MHz data bus support (533 MHz using Quad-bumped technology)
    System Memory
    Supports 2 memory slots
    Serial Presence Detect (SPD) support
    Supports a maximum memory size of 1 GB (using 2x512 Mb memory modules)
    Supports only 2.5V DIMM DDRAM configurations
    Unbuffered type support
    Core Logic (Chipset)

The *651 IGUI HMAC 3D Graphics SDR/DDR Chipset (see note) features:
    Processor Host/Bus support (533MHz data transfer rate)
    Support for DDR266 and DDR333 SDRAM
    AGTL+ & AGTL compliant bus driver auto compensation
    AGP V2.0 Compliant
    Support for additional AGP4X/2X interface and Fast Write Transaction
    * Columbia 5 only.

The SiS 645 DX DDR333 Chipset features:
    Processor Host/Bus support (533MHz data transfer rate)
    Support for DDR266 and DDR333 SDRAM
    AGTL+ & AGTL compliant bus driver auto compensation
    AGP V2.0 Compliant
    Support for additional AGP4X/2X interface and Fast Write Transaction

The SiS 962 MuTIOL Media I/O features:
    PCI rev 2.2 specification support
    supports PCI bus at 33 MHz
    3 PCI bus masters slots (1 of which is combined with the CNR connector)
    133MByte/sec maximum throughput
    Integrated IDE controller supporting PIO Mode 4 transfers at up to 14MB/s, Ultra ATA/33 mode transfers at up to 33 MB/s, and Ultra ATA/66 mode transfers up to 66 MB/s, Ultra ATA/100 mode transfers at up to 100 MB/s and Ultra ATA/133 mode transfers at up to 133 MB/s
    AC'97 link for audio and telephony CODECs (AC'97 2.2 interface)
    SMBus interface
    PC2001 compliance

I/O Controller
    The motherboard integrates a WINBOND W83697HF I/O controller with the following features:
    PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse controller.
    Floppy disk controller supporting one 360KB, 720KB, 1.2MB or 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drives.
    2 serial ports, both 16C550 Fast UART compatible.
    1 Parallel port supporting SPP (Standard parallel Port), EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port), ECP (Extended Capabilities Port) and BPP (Bi-directional Printer port) modes.
    1 MIDI/Game port.
    Hardware Monitoring:
    Fan speed monitoring.
    Built-in case open detection circuit.
    Watchdog comparison of all monitored values.
    Audio Chipset
    The functionality related to sound is provided by the integrated Sigmatel STAC9750T Codec, featuring:
    DirectSound AC'97 2.2 Audio.
    Inputs and Outputs: Stereo inputs for line-in, CD audio, Auxiliary, mono inputs for microphone and TAD, MPU-401 (UART mode) interface for wavetable synthesisers and MIDI devices.
    Integrated game port.
    Mixer Features: mixer with stereo for line, CD audio, auxiliary, music synthesiser, digital audio (wave files), and mono for microphone and speakerphone.
    3D stereo enhancement for simulated surround.
    Power management support.
    SPDIF output for PCM & AC3 sound formats.
    Ethernet Controller (Optional)
    Realtek RTL8100(BL) PCI/Mini-PCI Single-Chip Fast Ethernet Controller with Power Management10 Mbps 10 Base-T and 100 Mbps 100 Base-TX support, includes the following features:

Conforms to IEEE802.3u 100Base-TX and IEEE802.3x Full Duplex Flow Control.
    10/100 Mbps Half/Full duplex operation and IEEE802.3u auto negotiation.
    Supports Wake on LAN features.
    Remote Power On.
    Remote Wake Up.
    Advanced Configuration & Power Interface (ACPI) 2.0 & PCI Power Management Specifications 2.0 compliant.
    Supports Wake-On-LAN function and remote wake-up (Magic Packet).
    The ethernet address, Vendor ID and Configuration register are stored in the EEPROM.
    Compliant to PC99/PC2001 standard.
    PCI 2.1 and PCI 2.2 compliant.
    BIOS
    AMI BIOS includes the following features:

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) 1.0.
    2Mb Flash device.
    Supports Desktop Management Interface (DMI).
    Supports Windows Plug and Play.
    Supports Advanced Power management (APM) 1.2.
    Year 2000 compliant.
    PC 2001 compliant.
    Supports S3 power mode.

Could you please advise on which Gigabyte/Columber mother board would you recomend to take the upgrade CPU.

Thank You.
    Regards.
    Terry

Why bother upgrading from a celeron to a celeron, that few mhz is not going to make a blind bit of difference...

Now if you want to make a difference get a full P4 with the correct fsb for the existing motherboard. (Intel P4-Northwood 2.6G 400FSB) If you think that a 2.6 P4 will not perform as well as a 3.0g celeron you are mistaken I'm afraid.

If (as I suspect) you have bought the new cpu without checking the motherboard's specification, I wonder if you go shopping for shoes without knowing the size of shoe you need to buy?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Post Cpu

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Why bother upgrading from a celeron to a celeron, that few MHz is not going to make a blind bit of difference...

Now if you want to make a difference get a full P4 with the correct fsb for the existing motherboard. (Intel P4-Northwood 2.6G 400FSB) If you think that a 2.6 P4 will not perform as well as a 3.0g celeron you are mistaken I'm afraid.

If (as I suspect) you have bought the new CPU without checking the motherboard's specification, I wonder if you go shopping for shoes without knowing the size of shoe you need to buy?
    No I have not purchased a CPU as off yet, that is Why I am asking if it is possible to up grade the current CPU and what is the best way to go about it.

The only reason that I made the suggestion of going Celeron to Celeron it would be easier.

I always ask for advise if possible before I leap it to doing anything major.

Regards.
    Terry.

Upgrading isn't what it used to be. CPU performance is over-rated. Trainshed, the question you have to ask yourself is: "What do I want to do with this computer that I can't do now?" If you just want a bit of a boost in general performance, you can spend lots of money and not see much improvement. In gneral, video upgrades, additional memory, or faster memory are worth more than a new CPU.

If you want to run F.E.A.R., a cutting-edge graphics card will give you a bigger boost than a slightly faster CPU. The numbers displayed in benchmarks may be impressive in raw numbers, but they don't translate into real-world performance.

Post Sound Advise

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Upgrading isn't what it used to be. CPU performance is over-rated. Trainshed, the question you have to ask yourself is: "What do I want to do with this computer that I can't do now?" If you just want a bit of a boost in general performance, you can spend lots of money and not see much improvement. In general, video upgrades, additional memory, or faster memory are worth more than a new CPU.

If you want to run F.E.A.R., a cutting-edge graphics card will give you a bigger boost than a slightly faster CPU. The numbers displayed in benchmarks may be impressive in raw numbers, but they don't translate into real-world performance.
    That was sound advise you have just imparted, I shall give it some thought but going on what has been said I think that I just might purchase a 512MB Memory Chip set as PC has 2x256MB chip sets.

I shall take out one off the 256MB chip sets and put in its place the 512MB which would give me RAM of 768. Good Idea or a very bad idea.

Thank you for all the advise.

Regards.
    Terry.
    Last edited by Trainshed Terry; November 10th, 2005 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Missed Sentence

this is the basic GA-8SIML - note the ram - you can have 2gb at 266 speed which is PC2100 memory.

You can buy another strip at 512, but note that certain ram strips don't get on with others, so if you get odd problems that suddenly appear you may have to get two of the same type to make things work correctly.

Check what ram make/type you already have and if possible, get the same make/type of the new stick.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Exclamation That dose not add up!!!!!!

this is the basic GA-8SIML - note the ram - you can have 2gb at 266 speed which is PC2100 memory.

You can buy another strip at 512, but note that certain ram strips don't get on with others, so if you get odd problems that suddenly appear you may have to get two of the same type to make things work correctly.

Check what ram make/type you already have and if possible, get the same make/type of the new stick.
    I have a Compaq Presario XL1200, which had a RAM value off 128MB, but the twist is that 64Mb of the is built in to the computer and the other 64MB is a SODIMM chip set of 64MB, I had some one install a 128MB chip set which now gives me a RAM size off 192MB

Terry Macavoy.

ummm a Compaq Presario XL1200 is a notebook... weren't you talking about a desktop based on the 8SIML?

Question Aggghhh!!!!!!!!!

ummm a Compaq Presario XL1200 is a notebook... weren't you talking about a desktop based on the 8SIML?
    That is right I was talking about a Compaq XL1200 note book. I take this one with me when I go away for weekends.

The desk top is not very transportable are they.

You said that desk top do not like to use 2 memory chips of a different size......................or did I read it wrong.

The note book has a built in memory chip off 64MB and a SODIUM chipset which you can up grade..........yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..........going on what you quoted PC do not like to work with different size memory chips.

Hope you can understand on what I am trying to say.

With regards to I have search high and low on the internet Pentium 4 CPU that will run at 400MHZ.........................and all I can find is Pentium 4 CPU that run at 533MHZ...................

Regards

OK, you are talking about two entirely different setups. If you read the thread, you will find that this is the first mention of the notebook.

I lug desktops around all the time... redelivering them to customers

Two different sizes rarely cause problems unless they are different makes/speeds etc

I meant that you need to try and match the make and speed.

As for not being able to find the correct cpu... sorry I can't shop for you now can I ?

Exclamation 1024 Mb

Hello

I have installed 2 X 512MB Packard Bell Chip sets to day, and things seam to run a lot smoother.

But I would still like to upgrade the CPU some time in the future any further advice would be a great help.

This is a after thought but dose anybody know where I can find a BIOS update for my PC.

BIOS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIOS Properties:
    BIOS Type AMI
    System BIOS Date 07/30/03
    Video BIOS Date 04/13/05

BIOS Manufacturer:
    Company Name American Megatrends Inc.
    Product Information http://www.ami.com/amibios
    BIOS Upgrades http://www.esupport.com/biosagent/in...m?refererid=40

Problems & Suggestions:
    Suggestion Are you looking for a BIOS Upgrade? Contact eSupport Today!
    Suggestion System BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary.

I have tried to use www.esurpport.com and have found it difficult to navigate through.

Terry
    Last edited by Trainshed Terry; November 24th, 2005 at 04:39 PM. Reason: New info please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!