media player tv out

Thread: media player tv out

media player tv out

i've got on movie in avi format, i hook the laptop(fujitsu running xp sp2) up to the tv using s video out no proplems but when i run windows media player it comes up on the laptop playing but not on the screen, that is windows media player is on the tv just not the picture.
    ive got all the different codecs and all that stuff but nothing seems to work

please help

kind regards

coopa

Hi coopa welcome to wd forums.

That sounds to me like you need to tell the laptop where & how it ought to outputting, so that media player knows what to do - probably an 'overlay' configuration issue. If the video is playing correctly on your laptop screen then you've got no codec issues.

So some questions to try & figure out what the issue is ..

When in ordinary windows (not using media player) what shows on the TV ? Anything ? A copy of what's on the laptop screen, or 'extended desktop' (as if the TV display was an extension of the laptop display)

& if you try making media player play in a window rather than full screen, what happens then ? Can you see a window on the TV with just 'black' in it ? (it might come out blue!) - a bit like so ?

(The top two pictures is independent overlay, most cards can only support it on one screen at once, the bottom pair is the same video card working in 'clone mode' -both displays exactly the same)

Once we've got straight what's happening at the moment this shouldn't be so tricky , its all to do with 'clone' vs 'extended desktop' & 'independent refresh', which are all dependent on the capacities of the video card in your laptop & different manufacturers of those, use the terms in different ways, so when replying mention the exact model of laptop & that'll help make sure you are being understood correctly & get us to a solution quicker .