Hello Guys

This is my first post on the Forum, so please be kind and helpful with me.

Right, I have got a Compaq Presario 2100, I am trying to Install a Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 disk, The disk is an origianl Authentic Microsoft disk.

I am trying to install Windows XP from Scratch, I wanted to have a new clean install, with nothing on the laptop apart from Windows. So, I changed the boot order of the Bios, so it boots from CD-ROM. Then, using the Windows CD I deleted the partition, formated the hard drive and it proceded to install XP.

It had installed about half of the files and then it suddenlly said on the screen that it cannot find certain files on the disk. My only option is to cancel and then it reboots itself and i end up back at the same screen all the time.

Now whenever I try and turn on the laptop i get:

With Windows XP CD in drive : then it ignores the CD drive and goes straight to the part of the installation that it crashed on, it asks for a Windows CD to be inserted, I have tried 3 different CD's all say the same. My only option is to close and it reboots. It is up to the "39 minutes left" stage of installing XP.

With-out CD in drive : It does exactly the same, as in, it gets to the part of windows installation that crashed asks for a CD then my only option is to reboot.

My own thoughts

I have some sort of an idea about installing OS's But I am really stuck on this one.

I possibly believe that it has either lost the drivers to the CD drive, or the CD drive has broken itself.

I cant install from a disk becase it will not recognise that a CD is present in the drive and I cannot do anything with the hard disk because it currently has half of windows xp on it. There is no floppy drive with the laptop either, so I cant do anything with boot disks.

Anybody got any ideas,

PLEASE HELP