Change open with for a single shortcut

Thread: Change open with for a single shortcut

Change open with for a single shortcut

Hiya guys,
    I'm trying to get a local webpage containing ActiveX controls (MSI updater) to open via Internet explorer, while keeping the systemwide HTML application as Firefox.
    Simply changing the opens with in advanced properties changes it for all HTML docs, which I don't want. Similarly, I know that there are plugind to enable systemwide ActiveX for Firefox or launch IE only pages, but want to keep it ActiveX free, and launch IE directly from the desktop.

Any thoughts?

-Leezer-

Its easy to do this for a remote page

You just run Iexplore.exe then add the url, so "Iexplore http://'whatever url some file.htm' " .. but I can't quite bend my head to think if you could do that with a local page by using 127.0.0.1 or whatever ..

It sounds like you are in a work environment with this ? - can you put this page up on some server internally ?

Not quite a work environment, but my extensive (5 clients & server) home LAN
    I've already thought of adding iexplore to the local target (Both via the network name & IP) but no go.
    Will it work if I put it on the Linux server directly? (No experience of ActiveX whatsoever)
    Secondary thought, is there any way to get a C++ app to launch a specific page in Internet Explorer? I have a decent working knowledge of C++, but again have tried nothing like this before, and it seems like overkill!

Cheers

-Leezer-

Quote Originally Posted by leezer3
    Secondary thought, is there any way to get a C++ app to launch a specific page in Internet Explorer? I have a decent working knowledge of C++, but again have tried nothing like this before, and it seems like overkill!
    Well if you know c++, as I don't without cracking some books, just call iexplore http// whatever, (I dunno how the hell you pass outside parameters to an exe tho' in C ! - but I'm pretty sure you can) - but yeah 'getting hard'

..& server ..
    Learn how to set up home ftp server ? Put it there & then I think it'll work - I haven't got it up at home, so I can't test it for you, but I think Iexplore ftp:// .. will work as well & will resolve once the server services are running.

Ho hum
    I'll try setting up a FTP server on the Linux box & see what I can get it to do, but I suspect that this is going to be a case for right-clicking on the icon and selecting Internet Explorer manually

Cheers

-Leezer-

Let me know how you get on ..

Wouldn't changing the Home Page of IE allow you to do what you want by double-clicking the IE Icon (vice the shortcut to the web page icon)??? Or am I missing something (entirely possible)??? Seems if you only want IE for one page, that should do the trick.

Taz Devil: There are some other pages that also want viewing in IE, & are more easily found by searching etc- Its better to keep the main homepage of IE as Google
    Anyway, the best solution I've found is the IE view extension, set to close the Firefox window when it opens the page- You get a slight flicker of FF, & is not perfect but is the best I'm gonna get!

Cheers

-Leezer-