Runs for 7 seconds and shuts down

Thread: Runs for 7 seconds and shuts down

Question Runs for 7 seconds and shuts down

Good Afternoon,
    I recently purchased an Intel D865PERL Socket 478 ATX Motherboard with an Intel Celeron D 340 2.93GHz Processor & 512MB PC3200 Memory. Installed it in the case, hooked everything up and when I powered it on, the fans and hard drive power up and run for about 7 - 10 seconds, then the machine powers down. In that 7 - 10 seconds, there is no monitor activity, but there are also no beep codes. I tested it with only the motherboard and hard drive hooked up to the power supply and the same issue occurred. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Sooouuuushi!

try it outside the case with no harddrive hooked up..only video, keyboard, and mouse..see if you can get in to the bios and see if it does the same thing without the drive hooked up...Could be that the temp monitor is shutting it down
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

What PS you have in it?

I'd suspect DOA mainboard or bad power supply in that order. Definitely try Geoscomps's suggestion and try to use a different power supply as well as the original when you test.

Temp monitor, would it have anything to do with the temp of the processor or the heatsink?
    Sooouuuushi!

Quote Originally Posted by Akuma
    Temp monitor, would it have anything to do with the temp of the processor or the heatsink?
    yes..some boards have a temperature monitor that will shut the board down if it detects an overheat situation or a fan running under the set revolutions. Note that these settings are sometimes able to be changed in the bios..you might try clearing the cmos and seeing if that helps if the board exhibits the same behavior out of the case with nothing else connected..and 7 secs would be long enough for a processor to overheat
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    ..or a fan running under the set revolutions.
    He-he-he - or a fan running with no revolutions ? - I had one in this morning - shutting down, as said above, almost staright away - cpu fan was attached to where a case fan should've been !

A very easy fix & a slightly red cheeked customer, but I've done it too

(most bioses now come with some value set for this rpm & the warning feature enabled, & if you have 'cool & quiet' on an amd you'll find you have to set some super low value, as that can practically stop the fan, if the system is running nice & cool)
    Last edited by confus-ed; November 29th, 2005 at 07:50 PM.

Since everyone is weighing in on this one . I'll go with cpu/hsf, too. Seven seconds is the primary evidence. Next, as grieb says, mb doa. No beep codes is the evidence for that one. But then again, there are many times when the cpu will overheat and shut down before the beep has a chance to happen.
    Let us know what it is.

Well, I double checked the heatsink and it wasn't seated quite right. Re-seated it, and now it starts, the fans and HD power up, but still no POST or video. So now I am checking if the processor and RAM are good and if so, the board is going back unless there is something I am missing.....
    Sooouuuushi!

OK, put the processor into another known good machine, and it dectects the processor type and speed, but says Missing, BIOS Processor update. I would have to assume that means the processor is good, but the MoBo needs an update to use it; which is fine, @ least the processor is good.
    Sooouuuushi!

This is how the story ends. Took out all the RAM, powered on the machine, no difference. No beep codes, nothing. MoBo DOA.
    Sooouuuushi!

Sad to say, if the heatsink wasn't seated properly, the CPU probably fried. Modern MOBOS are supposed to prevent this, but I have my doubts.