Need to update my HP PC BIOS to support Windows XP.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need to update my HP PC BIOS to support Windows XP.

Need to update my HP PC BIOS to support Windows XP.

Hi all,

Just joined up to this group. Got a cool welcome note from a Mr. JPnyc, site administrator, so I'll just shoot out my question:

I had a recent system shutdown/freeze of XP, which had been running, but not always successfully. I had a guy come by, save everything, and get me running on windows 2000, but we still can't access XP anymore. He thinks there is probably a compatibility issue thing going on inside my HP PC, and that I may just need to upgrade the BIOS to something which can support XP. Thing is: I can't find the Model #, OR the Serial # anywhere (believe me, I looked!) I even tried Ctrl-Alt-"S" key, since the HP support guy said that might work. Anyway, does anyone know of another way I can go through the BIOS update process without these relevant #'s? Right now, 2000 is running fine, and all documents / files/ etc... are all saved and backed up, but Windows XP is so much nicer a system to use ... and more secure (when it's not freezing, that is!).
    Just wondering.

Have a good week everyone.

Tom
    Last edited by DonJ; November 30th, 2005 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Edited out email address

Hi tommy & welcome to wd forums - btw unless you like spam - delete that mail address from your post, I've asked for it to be cleaned up tho'

When your machine very first starts up .. in the bottom left hand corner, there's a great big long string :-

( the one starting 12/05/2001) Which will identify the motherboard by its current bios & thus the model, probably .. post it & folks can get googling for you ..

Or you can give Everest home a whirl which might be able to identify it.

..since the HP support guy said that might work..
    I can't believe hp support don't know this stuff to tell you !

-ed, most HP's Pavilions don't have that screen...they have an HP logo that comes up.

Tom, you might try this link on How Do I Find My Product Name/Number:
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...prod_info.html

Once you get a good number, go here for Drivers & BIOS Updates:
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Depending on your model, it may not be able to support WinXP.

Let us know how it all ends up. Good Luck!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ
    -ed, most HP's Pavilions don't have that screen...they have an HP logo that comes up...
    Can you not just get shut of that by pressing esc ? (or some other key) & then you can see 'the real thing' ? .. I've got a compaq here let's me do that ...

Hey gang, thanks for trying to help me locate my model #. So far, no luck. It seems my roommate bought this PC from a guy on craigslist a few years ago. A guy who puts 'em together, refurbished and all that.
    Anyway, checked the BIOS page, and all I got was a small #. This is what it said: "BIOS Revision # : 1.07 12/07/2000....". Incidentally, HP's website did a "device detection" online, of my computer, and brought up #'s the HP telephone agent said did not belong to their PC's.
    -- Model #: 03123400001234
    -- Serial #: 5678HPPAV3
    One of you guys said any numbers I found I should throw on to the forum here so people could google them for answers. If y'all know how to come up with something from any of these #'s , that would mean the world to me and my roommates. Thanx.
    PS: Anyone see Oprah on Letterman last night. Man, that guy was excited!

--Tom

If it was refurbished, you don't know if it even has the original motherboard in it...better look on the motherboard for any identifying marks
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tommytahoe
    Hi all,

Just joined up to this group. Got a cool welcome note from a Mr. JPnyc, site administrator, so I'll just shoot out my question:

I had a recent system shutdown/freeze of XP, which had been running, but not always successfully. I had a guy come by, save everything, and get me running on windows 2000, but we still can't access XP anymore. He thinks there is probably a compatibility issue thing going on inside my HP PC, and that I may just need to upgrade the BIOS to something which can support XP. Thing is: I can't find the Model #, OR the Serial # anywhere (believe me, I looked!) I even tried Ctrl-Alt-"S" key, since the HP support guy said that might work. Anyway, does anyone know of another way I can go through the BIOS update process without these relevant #'s? Right now, 2000 is running fine, and all documents / files/ etc... are all saved and backed up, but Windows XP is so much nicer a system to use ... and more secure (when it's not freezing, that is!).
    Just wondering.

Have a good week everyone.

Tom
    Bios shouldn't cause any problems with XP running or not.

Tommy, download, install, and run Everest Home Edition: http://lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

This will tell you what motherboard and hardware you have. Think DonJ is right; the mainboard in your machine isn't HP. Probably a good thing, but it may mean you have some questionable hardware. In particular, I would be concerned about memory. Sounds like you may be running a bootleg version of XP. Sorry, but a really bad idea if true. Do you have a legal copy? Hope so, 'cause we aren't here to support piracy and theft.

Everest will tell you what mainboard you have, and we need that information to go any farther, along with drive type and model, for starters.

Yes, slavedriver, BIOS really does matter. Particularly on proprietary MOBOs like HP, Compaq, etc. BIOS on these boards are crippled and don't work like retail boards are expected to do.

Hey there,
    so I downloaded Everest and found some info., which I'll list below. The two things missing are the model & serial #'s of the computer, and also the full BIOS version # (it's xxxx'ed out...). The guys at AWARD were ready to help me out, but said I needed to contact the motherboard mnf'r (Hewlett Packard) to find out the full BIOS info. HP have been the least helpful of all people I have reached out to, a lot less effort than what y'all here are putting in...
    Oh, and the XP version was a legit. one, XP Professional, from Microsoft, with the Service Pack 2 Disc and everything. You're right. Seems like there's things happening inside my computer that I am far, far from understanding.
    Anyway, here's the info. I got from the Everest downlaod:

BIOS Properties
    Vendor Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    BIOS ID: 00101850 P415 03123400001234
    BIOS Version XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [ That's the killer right there! ]
    Release Date 12/07/2000
    Size 512 KB
    Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP
    Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS
    Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, ESCD, PnP
    Expansion Capabilities PCI, AGP, USB

System Properties
    Manufacturer 00101850 P415
    Product 03123400001234
    Version 30
    Serial Number 5678HPPAV3
    Wake-Up Type Power Switch

Motherboard Properties
    Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    Product HP WMTA System Board
    Version 123
    Serial Number 1234567890123

That's what I got. Damnit, if only I could get that model # or BIOS Version # (which is also NOT LISTED on my computer's startup memory-count screen like it should be), then I'd be one happy fella. Thanks for racking your brains, though, WinHelper Dudes!
    Later,

--Tom

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tommytahoe
    Hey there,
    so I downloaded Everest and found some info., which I'll list below. The two things missing are the model & serial #'s of the computer, and also the full BIOS version # (it's xxxx'ed out...). The guys at AWARD were ready to help me out, but said I needed to contact the motherboard mnf'r (Hewlett Packard) to find out the full BIOS info. HP have been the least helpful of all people I have reached out to, a lot less effort than what y'all here are putting in...
    Oh, and the XP version was a legit. one, XP Professional, from Microsoft, with the Service Pack 2 Disc and everything. You're right. Seems like there's things happening inside my computer that I am far, far from understanding.
    Anyway, here's the info. I got from the Everest downlaod:

BIOS Properties
    Vendor Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
    BIOS ID: 00101850 P415 03123400001234
    BIOS Version XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [ That's the killer right there! ]
    Release Date 12/07/2000
    Size 512 KB
    Boot Devices Floppy Disk, Hard Disk, CD-ROM, ATAPI ZIP
    Capabilities Flash BIOS, Shadow BIOS, Selectable Boot, EDD, BBS
    Supported Standards DMI, APM, ACPI, ESCD, PnP
    Expansion Capabilities PCI, AGP, USB

System Properties
    Manufacturer 00101850 P415
    Product 03123400001234
    Version 30
    Serial Number 5678HPPAV3
    Wake-Up Type Power Switch

Motherboard Properties
    Version 123

That's what I got. Damnit, if only I could get that model # or BIOS Version # (which is also NOT LISTED on my computer's startup memory-count screen like it should be), then I'd be one happy fella. Thanks for racking your brains, though, WinHelper Dudes!
    Later,

--Tom

Try HP's updater

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Quote Originally Posted by slavedriver
    .. or now armed with
    ..Motherboard Properties
    Version 123
    go back & tell HP support & see if they can now help you ?

(& I'll repeat my increduilty that HP don't know this stuff to tell you ! You must've been talking to the trainee- maybe we didn't finnish his training yet ?!?!? )

I just got thru searching all over HP's websites for WMTA System Board and came up with nothing.

Of course, those version and serial numbers are bogus numbers.

It might be that the only way to id that mobo is to physically get in there and eyeball it. If it's an HP, it's part number would be something along the lines of D8236-63000 or at least, in that type format.

Post that number and we might be able to get somewhere.
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Quote Originally Posted by DonJ
    Of course, those version and serial numbers are bogus numbers..
    Yeah you are right Don - A serial number starting 1234567890 does sound remarkably suspicious when I think about it, & thus I think your 'bogus' comments stand up ( Mmm maybe I'm gonna look again at how good 'everest home' is - especially since they just pulled support on the free version - I wonder if a 'trial' of the professional version wll yield the same ?).

I didn't check the details , so my 'bad' .

Found it
    The HP bloke was talking rubbish- The model no he has corresponds to a Trigem Cognac mobo, fitted to plenty of HP (& other OEM) machines.
    Thread on his specific ACPI probs:
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/f...hreadId=567992

Edit: Found the BIOS on the official HP site:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...dlc=en&lang=en

Also, from some further reading, it appears that these boards are notorious for bad capacitators. Have a look for any with bulged etc. tops, as these could also be contributing to your problem if present.

All I can really say is proceed with caution, and be aware that if these fubar your board, then there is nothing much we can do

Cheers

-Leezer-
    Last edited by leezer3; December 7th, 2005 at 09:58 AM.

hp wmta

hi i have a wmta board from a hp vectra vL800 hope this helps