A little background : Upgraded my MB/CPU/PS recently and did a repair install of XP. My CD is REAL old but I had a SP2 upgrade disc so I added that. Well box kept BSODing at boot w/ the error code oxoooooo7e (oxc0000005, 0x00000000,oxf7a2foco, 0xf7a2edbc). That sucked. Well tried a reinstall/ repair using a slipstreamed XP boot disc (first try at sp2 update went a bit dodgy but worked it's way out). Still no luck. Well went to hardware troubleshooting after I found I could boot sort of normally w/ the /basevideo switch. Ok thought it was graphics card related. Bought a new 8x card in case of some mysterious AGP problem. No luck. Eventually found I can "normally" boot w/ just the /sos switch in boot.ini. Yea, didn't have to keep resetting my video resolution. But that where it sits... No normal boot except in /sos mode. XP runs through the drivers list, shows me my OS and RAM, tests drives and then boot to login screen. No problems.. Did I mention how weird this is???? Don't ask about a minidump.. None generated since 4/05..... Wrote to MS who recommends a repair install w/ my original cd to remove sp2 (only way to remove it from the slipstreamed CD). Been thinking that there is some problem w/ the ntoskrnl.exe file and the splash screens. I'm at a complete loss. Really don't want to format and start over. Box runs fine in all other regards...
Board Chaintech VNF3-250 w/ latest BIOS. 2-Corsair 512mb valu-ram, AMD Athlon64 2800+, Chaintech gforce fx 5200 video(replaced my nvidia quadro4 for apparently no reason). Asst odds and ends.....
Ran memtest (iso CD) overnight... no errors
Computer runs for days w/ no problems.
Link to screen capture of ntoskrnl
http://www.qualiteitems.com/images/ntoskernel.jpg
5th forum, plus MS, plus Chaintech............