SATA hard drive, to IDE hard drive question

Thread: SATA hard drive, to IDE hard drive question

SATA hard drive, to IDE hard drive question

I have a new Sony VAIO® RC110G
    VGC-RC110G

Intel® Pentium® D Processor 8301 (3GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)
    Microsoft® Windows® Media Center Edition 2005
    Advanced Cooling and Acoustic Technology
    1GB RAM2 and 250GB hard drive3
    Remote control and receiver

OK,

I have a older sony vaio cpu with 2 ide 80gb hard drives. They have all of my information on them. The motherboard went out on it and I want to add the 2 ide hard drives to the new computer or transfer all the info from them to the new cpu.

How would I go about doing this, because my cpu only have the sata cables, and not ide cables.

I can add up to 4 sata drives. Is there a cable I can buy to convert a sata cable to a ide cable?

Thanks for any help.

Are you saying that there is no slot on the motherboard for IDE cables?
    Because that isnt really possible.
    Considering the fact that you have cdrom's in there and they must run off an ide cable.
    Follow the cables from the cdrom back to the motherboard and see if there is an unused slot.
    Likely there will be or the 2 cdroms are using both Primary and secondary ide.
    You can disconnect the cdroms for the time being to connect the harddrives as well.
    Connect your old harddrive to the cdrom cables
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Pata to sata

I'm using a Highpoint Rocket pata to sata adaptor to run a Western Digital WD800JB drive on a sata port on my Soyo KT880 Motherboard. Works with no problems. make sure that the appropriate sata drivers are present.
    Jim

Ok, I didn't know if I could use the 2 from the cdrom drives. I ordered a sata to ide converter from an online store, I had seen them for about $35, but I found this one for $15.

I will diconnect one of my cdrom drives until I can get the part in the mail.

Thanks

make sure that the appropriate sata drivers are present.

Where do I get them from?

Quote Originally Posted by bud11dy
    Where do I get them from?
    You've got 'em already ! , since your machine is retail & will have come all installed. jaimicook was meaning for his situation, I'd have thought as he added a sata drive by using a converter - intending to leave his drive there 'forever', if you follow Ferrit's plan you won't need those .. Just unplug one of the cd's & then connect each drive one at a time, do your copies & then put it back as it was ..

If you want to leave these drives in there, well that's an entirely different question, & with more issues (the main one, being is your PSU up to it ? running, 2 IDE drives, 2 Cd's & a sata drive, & all the rest that's there anyway, is quite a considerable power drain)
    Last edited by confus-ed; December 9th, 2005 at 07:13 AM.

My cpu has 3 open slots for sata drives. But I only have the 2 edi drive slots, and both are being used by the dvdrw, and dvd drives. I installed on of the hd where one of the dvd's was, and then started transfering my data over. When I was done, I removed the old hd and but the dvd back in. The cpu was working fine, and about an hour later my cpu shut down, and when it booted back up it said that I need to reinstall windows because it was missing some files.
    I took it back to the store and got a new one, and then I ordered that sata to edi converter, and tried installing them, my cpu never recognized them, and could not find them when I had it search for them.

I don't know what to do, because I don't want to mess the cpu up again ( I think I burned out the hd, I don't know how though)(on the one that I took back).

If all you want to do is get data off the IDE drives and you don't want to install the them internally, you could look at something like this, a USB to IDE connector:

http://www.dansdata.com/rdriver.htm

"Street" cost in Vancouver for one of these units with connectors for standard and notebook drives is about $20/25 Canadian.

It is a handy thing to have anyway. I use mine all the time.

Quick Note

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    Are you saying that there is no slot on the motherboard for IDE cables?
    Because that isnt really possible.
    Considering the fact that you have cdrom's in there and they must run off an ide cable.
    Not entirely true, as cdroms are not reliant on ide connections anymore and u can now buy SATA cdroms + dvdroms.
    Last edited by alchemist83; December 22nd, 2005 at 03:39 PM.