Windows No Internet for wire?

Thread: Windows No Internet for wire?

Windows No Internet for wire?

Hi,
    i have formatted my computer with format c:/u and everything got deleted...Aftre i turn on my computer my computer wont boot and it says its missing something and says press ctrl+alt+del to restart..But restarting will just do the same..
    My windows was a windows 2000 but i have upgraded to a windows xp professional..I lost my original windows 2000 disk since its old, but i have the windows xp pro disc which i noticed that its not going to do anything...
    Now i have two questions...

1. Is there any way i can put all the windows 2000 operation files so aat least it works? like maybe a site that i can get all the files and put them on a floppy.

2. If 1 doesngt work i have tried to put my lap top hooked up downstairs, put the LAN wire but the internet doesnt work, but at my uncles house itt works...Is it something about teh LAN files because at my uncles house the wire is Blue but at my house its Gray...is it just for windows 2000 or older...if i buy the blue wire will my laptop work...
    thanks i expect good answers
    thank you..

Apart from "What?" my advice would be to install XP using the CD you apparently have.

Blue, Grey, Red or any colour of LAN cable isn't going to make any difference; although I have no idea what you are trying to achieve anyway so maybe it will?

Maybe try posting back with a few more details and we will see what we can do?

emr

Whoops
    The guy has totally formatted his HDD. The CTRL+ALT+DEL message is the BIOS telling him that it hasn't found a bootable disk, so restart.

You want to set the CD as the first boot device in the BIOS, & then stick the XP CD in. It will probably want your Win2k serial/ disk when installing if it is an upgrade version.

Cheers

-Leezer-

I dont think he understands what he actually did.
    NO !!! you cannot download enuff windows 2000 system files from the internet to get it going.
    There isnt a shred of info left on the computer's harddrive. If you lost the windows 2000 cd i hope you can at least find the product code. If the winodws xp cd is a upgrade version it will require some sort of verification for you to use it. I allways thought that meant a cd. I dont remeber seeing anywhere you could enter a product code.
    To get the computer to boot to the xp cd you must set the bios to see the cdrom as the very first boot device.

The color of the wire makes absolutely no difference at all except possibly to entertain you.
    Some info about how this system hooks to the internet at your house is nessecary
    DSL?
    Cable?
    Router?
    Hub?
    Direct?
    Last edited by Ferrit; December 7th, 2005 at 02:15 AM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Ok thx for teh answers,
    i went to office max, got myself a blue cable and yes i did make a difference magically my internet works on my laptop. ik that was it....
    about the windows i dont think most of u understand that said i lost my windows 2000 original disk.......
    Ferrit there is no way to get the windows 2000 files???
    how about if i download it form DC++ i get my .iso file and put it on a disk?
    Well let me know...

The color of the wire makes absolutely no difference at all except possibly to entertain you.

..got myself a blue cable and yes i did make a difference magically my internet works ..

It entertained me !

Apparently the 'cable colour issue' would be the difference between a normal 'straight through' network cable & a 'xover' cable, the colour of which isn't necessarily tied to the type of cable - what you are plugging from & to dictates what kind of cable is suitable ... I've got blue straight through wires & blue xover wires too, infact I've even got some red ones !

& on your second slightly suspect point (hopefully somebody will be along in a bit to clean up your inappropriate references) - you need a bootable system cd for at least one of the operating systems involved be that for xp or 2000 - If you are convinced of your right to own a copy, I'd suggest for now you borrow an xp cd & use your existing key - any problems with that & i'll have to say get in touch with M$ & blagg them - as its not my job or anybodies else's here to answer about potentially pirated software ..

"The color of the wire makes absolutely no difference..."

had to chuckle the other day. set up a new router/modem for a client to replace the usb speedtouch that died. i had a bag of spare cables 'just incase'. Anyway, set it all up, he was happy, i was happy, cheers and thanks.

i get a phone call a couple of hours later...."uhm, sorry, the cable you installed is grey and i am sure the one with the router was blue..."

i actually had to go back the next day and swap colours.....

Thats funny. I have co-workers in the technology department that swear up and down the white cables work better than the black ones. I keep telling them they are just being racist. We use colors to help us find what is connected at the other end. Black for IP phones, white/beige for computers, blue for printers, green for access points, and red or yellow for servers and switches.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Or the cable he used in the first place was in fact faulty.
    As to the second quit looseing yer cd's problem solved
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html