Crappy server problem

Thread: Crappy server problem

Crappy server problem

I think I am going crazy.

I work for a small business and we are having problems with this network at a country club.

Network consists of:
    -a server running Windows server 2003

-5 XP Pro machines that log onto the server and use a proprietary software that uses a mapped drive on the server

-two big 32 port switches (dunno why)

-This god awful Westel DSL modem router gateway

What we are trying to do:

Install a Netgear DSL modem router gateway.

Problem:

Each computer will not get online when the Netgear DSL modem is installed. Unless you release and renew the IP address on each machine. Once this is done, the client machines can't access the mapped drive on the server. We did not perform a release and renew of the IP address on the server. Wouldn't that be the problem?

My boss argues that the router has nothing to do with it and the server is doing DHCP to log into the server not for the Internet? (doesn't make any sense to me). He says the DHCP is being done in the server, so doing a release and renew on the server won't do anything. I say that the DHCP (in some form or another) in the server was turned off, because the old router and the new one have DHCP turned on. Am I going crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by tibbin
    I think I am going crazy.

I work for a small business and we are having problems with this network at a country club.

Network consists of:
    -a server running Windows server 2003

-5 XP Pro machines that log onto the server and use a proprietary software that uses a mapped drive on the server

-two big 32 port switches (dunno why)

-This god awful Westel DSL modem router gateway

What we are trying to do:

Install a Netgear DSL modem router gateway.

Problem:

Each computer will not get online when the Netgear DSL modem is installed. Unless you release and renew the IP address on each machine. Once this is done, the client machines can't access the mapped drive on the server. We did not perform a release and renew of the IP address on the server. Wouldn't that be the problem?

My boss argues that the router has nothing to do with it and the server is doing DHCP to log into the server not for the Internet? (doesn't make any sense to me). He says the DHCP is being done in the server, so doing a release and renew on the server won't do anything. I say that the DHCP (in some form or another) in the server was turned off, because the old router and the new one have DHCP turned on. Am I going crazy?
    Not sure why you would want to ipconfig /release on the server; does it not have a static IP address? It should have if it is a domain controller.

Server 2k3 will not be happy seeing another DHCP server on the network; however it will not shut it's DHCP server down if it does. SBS 2k3 will.

In general it is not good practice to have two DHCP servers running on the same network segment. That's the way I understand it anyway; people will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure!

We need a bit more information such as the IP range, gateway address, are you using the server IP as DNS on the workstations. Just post the general details for the network.

Do I understand correctly that DHCP is running on both the server and router then?

Ewan

Do the computers go through the server to access the Internet? Did they set the same IP range in the dsl modem?just wondering if the modem is plugged into server and it has two nic's and the other nic is connected to the switches? If so maybe need to setup routing on the server to get the inside interface to route to the outside interface.The addressing change of switching routers and using a different subnet might have no route out now.

The DHCP is turned on in the router (old one and the new one). The server does not have a static IP.

I assume (since people have not been getting kicked off randomly) that the server has DHCP off or it is just plain screwed up.

The Internet is not being ran through the server. The router is on the other side of the room.

The default gateway for all the computers in the old router modem is 192.168.1.1 gateway in the new one is 192.168.0.1 and the starting and ending IP addresses are different. I could change those settings in the new router to fix the problem, but every time you shut them down for five minutes they act like you cut them off from saving the world or something.

BTW, this network was originally setup by a phone guy then by some company that sold them their proprietary software and they went out of business.

Also, thanks for the replys guys.

First of all, set a static IP address on the server (e.g. 192.168.0.10). Next, configure whatever device (server or the router) that is going to handle dhcp requests to point to the Windows 2003 Server for DNS resolution (e.g. 192.168.0.10), you could also add a secondary DNS server from your ISP. Next, do an ipconfig release/renew or restart the workstations. Then remap the workstations mapped drive to the server at it's new location (e.g. 192.168.0.10). Note, you could keep your old subnet of 192.168.1.1, just configure accordingly.
    To each his/her own.

Yeah, I mentioned that to my boss too. I`m wrong, always wrong. I gave up on him. If I end up going back out there and fix it, I am going to rub it in his face, I might get fired, but at least it will be very satisfying.