[RESOLVED] New Computer, Old Program

Thread: [RESOLVED] New Computer, Old Program

Resolved [RESOLVED] New Computer, Old Program

Does anyone know all the steps to trick XP to send LPT printing info to a USB Printer?

Remote User just purchased a new machine, which came with a HP all-in-one printer which hooks up USB. It's installed correctly - can do anything he wants from OS or M$ Apps.

User also has some engineering programs done in BASICA - which LPRINT to the LPT port that does not have a printer attached...

I had him enable printer sharing to share the printer, then created a .bat file to tell his machine to NET USE that printer (persistant) for all LPT commands - but still no go. I'm sure it's a small something I've overlooked...

T-I-A
    Do all the good you can, whenever you can, for whomever you can...

Last edited by jwhart; December 15th, 2005 at 07:25 PM.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,
    but rather to skid-in-sideways, totally worn out, shouting. "Holy sh!t.. what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by jwhart
    Don't know if this will help, but try here:
    http://www.decompile.com/dataflex/tips/usb_printer.htm
    Thanks JW! I had not seen the first one...and I think the one part I was missing was the "TEXT" settings for the print processor...I'll have to talk the guy through checking it out.

These fixes work for networked printers, but not for local printers. USB printer ports are virtual ports and DOS software won't print to them at all unless the printer is connected to another computer which is physically connected to the printer. I'd get online and shop for a LJ4, hook it up to LPT1 and go.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    These fixes work for networked printers, but not for local printers. USB printer ports are virtual ports and DOS software won't print to them at all unless the printer is connected to another computer which is physically connected to the printer. I'd get online and shop for a LJ4, hook it up to LPT1 and go.
    I'm thinking that might be the way to go too - unless the guy wants to capture his print in a file, then manually dump it to the printer...

Not having much luck finding a converter to get the USB printer to hook into LPT1 - any suggestions slgieb (or anyone)?

http://www.testech-elect.com/elnec/beeprog.htm
    try this out maybe what you need

Jon, I'd just go for some parallel port printer. Depending on how good his output needs to be you might even pick up a dot matrix or some such. In your area, there should be no shortage of OK used printers around. I just like the LJ4 because they are robust, reasonably fast with clear text, cheap to buy (often $100 or so) and cheap and easy to maintain. Not much goes wrong with these but worn out rollers and the occasional fuser as a rule.

I just don't think the beeprog is going to do the trick for you. There are adapters to let you run a parallel printer from a USB port, but not the other way round. Even if User has no parallel port (fortunately still unlikely) an add-in card works just fine.
    Last edited by slgrieb; December 18th, 2005 at 04:49 PM.

Reasonable

slgrieb - that sound like the most reasonable solution. User may not like it much, but....

Rhetorical ?: Why is it that when we get working on a problem, trying our best to make it work - most uf us miss a simple solution?

Thanks to all!