DVD Driver?!

Thread: DVD Driver?!

DVD Driver?!

Hi,
    I just fitted in a new DVD drive, i use the old Data and power cable from my old CD drive.I then started up my PC, (my PC is a DELL). When it was checking thorugh my PC at startup (BIO's etc.) it gave me an error message:

Driver 1 not found: SERIAL ATA, SATA-2

or something close to that, if i press F2 on startud and disallow Diver 1, then the error message doesn't come up, but my DVD drive doesn't work. If i ignore the message, sometimes my DVD is working , but others is just not detected, please help!
    Last edited by chuey; December 21st, 2005 at 08:01 PM. Reason: error correction

Hi chuey & welcome to wd forums.

We need a bit more info to figure out just what's not quite right, we need the model of the dell concerned (can I/we at least have a note of all the drives & types connected?) & the *exact* error wording of the message you gave earlier if you can.

Did/have you made any changes in bios, or have you just literally swapped out the cd for a dvd & done nothing else ? (least not that you are aware of anyway).

ok, the exact message was
    Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2
    My Dell is a Dell Dimension 4700
    where can i give you an exact copy off all my drives and types?
    And the only change i did was the one i stated in the above :
    *quote*if i press F2 on startup and disallow Dive 1, then the error message doesn't come up, but my DVD drive doesn't work.*quote*
    Thanx for the help.

So this bit;-
    Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2
    normally means that bios is expecting to find a sata style drive connected to its second sata port & it hasn't !

So I wanted the specs of your machine to figure out what it supposedly had inside of it, but you can just look, which is probably quicker - do you have one or two stata harddrives ? (if you look around the back you'll find a 'service tag' btw which you can punch into Dell's site here to get the exact specs & drivers for it )

btw tell me on this particular machine, is f2 just ignoring the error or is it saying it loads default or 'safe values' ?

I've got a floppy drive and thats pretty much it, i did go on the DELL site to try find the drivers but im not sure which one to download (i didnt use my service tag , i used my model name (DELL dimension 4700)), and F2 tells me to run "setup utilitly"

P.S i also found this file:
    Liteon SOHD-16P9S Firmware V. FS09 (487.10KB, 442 downloads)
    Firmware V. FS09 for the Liteon SOHD-16P9S DVD-ROM drive

I downloaded it but it said i didnt have the drive, (that is the model of my DVD drive)

I was wondering, why isn't the actual DVD drive working?
    Last edited by chuey; December 22nd, 2005 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuey
    I've got a floppy drive and thats pretty much it ..
    That can't be right ! .. so given that f2 is running setup, that means it's reseting itself to bios failsafes - so hence the error message probably ..

I'd check the cabling & can you give me the asset tag off the back so I can confirm exactly what's supposed to be in it (as you don't seem so sure!), models number may cover a range of different options such as drives ..

Chuey Please read back and do exactly what is asked of you and maybe
    you will see the light

Ok, for the cabling, can i just litrally , take the power and data cable from the CD drive, and put them into my DVD drive, because that's what i did, ill give you the service tag so you can check what my exact PC has or do you want me to screenshot my "device manager" screen? But im not near my dodgy PC atm, so ill give you in around 4-5 hours?
    thanx

Did you check your jumpers??? Master, Slave,or Cable select? When you have A IDE cable with two plugs you can install two devices on same cable.
    One has to be Master other has to be slave.

Quote Originally Posted by chuey
    Ok, for the cabling, can i just litrally , take the power and data cable from the CD drive, and put them into my DVD drive, because that's what i did..
    If the jumper settings are correct, you have about a 95% chance of it working fine (Sometimes you need a bios flash to ensure compatability, especially if going from cd to dvd - btw this might be handy ;- Install CD Burner, Installing a CD Writer or DVD player/burner (IDE) ).