D-Link DI-524 cant get into configuration page..

Thread: D-Link DI-524 cant get into configuration page..

D-Link DI-524 cant get into configuration page..

Hi,
    I’m trying to help someone setup their cable modem (Comcast) to a router D-Link DI-524 so they can have wireless access from two different laptops.

Currently, the hardware configuration is from the modem (surfboard) to router "port in" via cat-5. Then from the router (port 1) to the Ethernet adaptor on the laptop. Instructions to get into the router is type in 192.168.0.1 in the url. But I can not get in. The laptop is winxp pro and I did the “ipconfig” in cmd. The IP is not 192.168.0.x, but like 67.324.xxx.xx. Same with the gateway, but the last number is 1. When I have set this up before (in a different home for someone else), the 192.168.0.1. always works and the IP is set to 192.168.0.X.

I found this support link from D-Link and followed it, still not good.
    (http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...%20DI-524_revC)

All the lights are active in both modem and router and computer can get on the internet via current setup (modem to router, router to laptop via CAT-5)
    Any recommendations?

The only thing that comes to my mind is if there's anything on that system that has set up a proxy, maybe a content blocking filter?

Check that the machine does not have an IP and or DNS set statically, and do a release and renew and see if it is then able to get a proper IP. Check also that the DHCP service is started on the computer.

DHCP should not be set on the computer. Set a static IP of 192.168.0.10. Try pinging the router.
    Plus, these routers are very prone to failure (I'm on my 3rd one, which still doesn't work and is going back). This router is also not fully supported by D-Link UK, only the US site acknowledges it's existence and onlt for certain firmware releases.
    Try making sure that nothing else is pluged into the routers switch sockets (not even the WAN connection. Just your PC, that's all).
    Oh, if you do get access and set it all up, the PC must then be set to the DHCP option (which should have worked first time).
    Only other thing is to setup a DNS somewhere?
    NTT.
    Last edited by NevTheTech; January 2nd, 2006 at 09:31 PM.

It’s a laptop system, does that matter (it shouldn’t )? Yeah, it’s set on DHCP. I will try setting it to static and inputting the numbers and pinging it. It’s a friend’s computer, whom I recommended to buy this router..

Quote Originally Posted by futuretech
    Check that the machine does not have an IP and or DNS set statically, and do a release and renew and see if it is then able to get a proper IP. Check also that the DHCP service is started on the computer.

I have been using one of these routers for a year now, and I believe the quoted text to be the correct answer. Once you can see the router, the rest should be just fine. If you have anything like Zone Alarm or Norton Internet Security running, they can cause connectivity issues, since they are so "smart".
    If only you knew what's inside of me now,
    You wouldn't want to know me, somehow.

The only thing I can think of is the possibility that you are trying to set it up wirelessly. If you have the the laptop wired to the router and the laptop is also wireless capable, make sure you have the wireless unplugged (if a card) or at least turned off as the laptop may be defaulting for some reason to the wireless instead of the wired. Dlink repeatedly and in no uncertain terms warns against trying to set up the router with a wireless connection as it may burn out or otherwise damage the internal components of the router. Its possible that the router's firmware is detecting this scenario and is automatically preventing you from doing this.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    You may want to try the following. Unplug the cat 5 from the modem to the router. Do a hard reset of the router. There is a reset button to the right of the power connection. Straighten a paper clip and reset the router. Watch for the blinking lights. Release the clip. Reboot the pc. Open IE and type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar. Hit enter. If you still can't get in, try another pc. If that doesn't work, return the router.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Yup, those could be the problems. Or it's just crap.

NTT.
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

I had the same issue with the same router. Freind of mine got a new computer for x-mas, so I went over to add the new computer to the network. The new WinXP machine would not conect to the router period. It would not connect wired or wireless. The only solution to the problem was to upgrade the firmware on the router. This had to be done from a Win2k system. Once the upgrade was done and the router reset.....all OK
    Last edited by Irish Shark; January 13th, 2006 at 05:37 PM.
    No matter where you go........there you are.