Burnt CD not recognized

Thread: Burnt CD not recognized

Unhappy Burnt CD not recognized

I have been trying to get my friends computer back running like it should after a brother and law tried to help it! Got it running like a clock now .
    At first it would not play/open any CD. Well I got that taken care of after rechecking startup apps and unchecking and rechecking and getting it to be drive D and not C? I don't know how that happend!? The only thing that I see wrong now is that it is not recoginizing a burnt CD? They have dial up and its slow as normal and they have a lot of updating to do after a few years and I have all the updates on CD's. If you put in a factory CD there is no problem? But it want work with my made/burnt cd's?
    Their unit is a 98 system bought off a tv special years ago. (came with everything except someone to help them )The cd rom is a samsung cd/dvd player. I didn't write the number down. I will have to get it I bet. Every thing I rechecked in the prop/setting are the same as I have on one of my older units. Am I missing something simple or do you need more info on it so you can help?
    Thanks
    Duke

Hiya,
    Sounds as if the CD drive is working to some extent- This is less likely to be a pure Windoze problem than if it didn't work at all.
    1. I assume the burnt CDs you have tried are data- Any change with audio?
    2. What sort of brand of media are you using?- Noname stuff may work poorley or not at all with elderly systems.
    3. Have you done the standard virii/ junkware tests?
    4. Don't forget, new CDROM drives can be had for peanuts these days

Cheers

-Leezer-

The disk are Memorex and I just went upstairs to our first computer and tried the cd. It spit it out evey time and I put in a factory cd and it did fine and then I put mine in and it did like it should? Theirs would not reject it so maybe I just need to keep trying it? It could be the drive but I an't gave up yet. They will prob get it upgraded memory and added hard drive and whatever and the board is a GA-5AX (rev4) so the board is good enough to do all they will need. I will get them to add an extra one one for making copies or whatever they might need.

Opps! I have not tried an audio cd just the data. And you got me on the virii/ junkware tests. Do you mean use bigger HAMMER?

Hiya,
    You preferably want to do an online virus scan from someone like Panda
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/
    as this should tell you if there is something that your existing AV software has missed. (This is less of an option on 56k though, depends on how sure you are of your cleanup)
    Similary, download and update Spybot Search and Destroy- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    and scan with this to get rid of any lingering spyware.

While the second PC spitting out the disks at first suggests to me that the quality is less than brilliant, you could keep trying and see what happens. Alternatively, if you are happy with doing this you could try borrowing the known working CD drive and seeing what this does in thier PC.

Cheers

-Leezer-

Hi,
    Thanks for the info and I will do some more test as soon as I can. I am remaking the cd and going to give a new one a try. I just need to clean up all thats on the computer that not needed and check the adware and spyware and then get their protection back. Once I know whats working and whats needs replacing then we can look at upgrading it. It only has 98mb of ram and a 2gig drive and the processor is a AMD-K6 3D. Its got a normal tower and room to expand and now just have to drill out the dat burn pop ribbets to get inside,They could have used screws!
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Duke in NC