Transfering video tapes to dvd-roms...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Transfering video tapes to dvd-roms...

Transfering video tapes to dvd-roms...

Hello there!
    This is king_of the_world !

I have over 100 old video-cassetes.
    I also have a Sempron 3000+ ram512 with a video card(video_in included in it).
    So I thought I should transfer all tape's data in dvd-roms, then throw those tapes away.
    The problem is that, although I have tried, I cant find which is the proper cables for this job. Could u plz tell me and with images, if possible?

Thank u so much !
    king_of_the_world

PS. I also want to make threads about RAM and games fraps, in which headline can i post them?

Video in or Video Out?

What is the video card you are using? If the card has video capture capabilities usually the manufacturer supplies the cables. Are you sure its just not video out? A little more details would be helpful.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Buy one of these and have it easy.
    The Moral Majority is neither.

Master Sargent - WOTPP

Hey, KoW, do you know what video card your computer has? Sometimes, you may have a card with video in/out, but no connector for it! OEM versions of many cards don't include the connectors and cables you get with the retail-boxed versions of the same card. If you can tell us a bit more info, I'm sure we can get you set up with the right cables.

U can see my card in these links. The card, the cable, the remote contol, the cd-roms, all are shown in the links

http://www.zive.sk/h/TestCentrum/AR.asp?ARI=111437
    or
    http://www.pcmanias.com/index.php?li...&show_n_id=428
    or
    http://www.xpcgear.com/asustvfmcard.html

Unfortunately i have not understood yet, how exacly I connect it with my old video player, in order to take data from the video cassetes. The cable seems to be strange.

Plz, inform me also, unter which headline should i post threads about 1)Rams 2)Games fps
    Thanks.

Well...
    No any answer. I wrote all info about card as U asked me buT seems I wont be able to transfer video cassetes to dvd-roms. Is it so difficult indeed?...

I do it all the time using my ATI All in Wonder. I also have a USB2 Capture device that seems to work rather well for analog video. For Simple movies I just use VideoWave that came with Roxio, but I also have Premiere and DVD Encore by Adobe for the more advanced stuff.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Hello, KoW! Please remember that not everyone on the forum is in the same time zone. Also work sometimes interferes with my fun.

Your card certainly looks to support video capture, and there should be a driver for it included with the card. You can do basic video capture directly into Windows Movie Maker, but most cards with video-in have their own software. Anyway, it should be fairly simple to capture the video to your hard drive. The sticky part is what to do with it then.

Actually whatever DVD burning software you have can put the video file on a DVD that will play in a computer's DVD drive, but if you want the disc to play in a standard DVD player, that's a bit harder. You will need some sort of DVD authoring program. If your card didn't come with one, you can use Nero Vision Express, Roxio Media Creator TMPGEnc DVD Author, etc. to create the DVD file structure from your video file. If any of this is unclear, get back to us.

MY PROBLEM is how to connect the old video player machine to my computer. I m not talking for software, I m talking for the CABLES.

The cable choice will depend open what your vcr supports. What outs does your vcr have? take the output and then you'll probably need an s video connector into your video card.
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Quote Originally Posted by king_of_the_world
    ..MY PROBLEM is how to connect the old video player machine to my computer. I m not talking for software, I m talking for the CABLES...
    Steady Neddy, I at least am hearing you & Apparently we do polish language support now do we ? (its a good job all them links had pictures ! )

Here's the cable

Take the single 'fat end' on the left, that goes into your video card (that's an 's-video' connector) then either connect the other s-video direct into your video if its got a matching socket (some do, some don't & have an earlier style connector a 'dim socket') or you get the yellow & white wires which are commonly called 'rca jacks' & plug them into the appropriate colour coded ports on your video (you might need a male to female connector).

If there's none of those ports I'm waffling about on your video, it might have a scart connector & you can buy little adapters (£5 ? ish) which let you plug rca jacks into them & then in turn the scart connector to your video.

If all else fails get your behind to somewhere like radioshack (or in the uk maybe maplins or similar) & explain all of this to them, & take the cables with you, & I'm confident they can explain it, whilst selling you any bits you may be short of .

Let us know how you get on !

KoW, you actually seem to have the required cable in hand already! So what's the problem? Your video card obviously has an S-video connector for input, so just as -ed says, plug in the connector that combines everything and match the other connectors to your VCR. All you have to do is match the colors for RCA connectors, or in the case of S-video connectors just get the gender of plug right.

You might also want to keep my previous post about software issues in mind, because, somehow, I suspect you are perhaps going to need a bit more help as you move forward with your project. HINT: the cables are the easy part.

Yes, this cable is already in my hands(included).
    I used a scart cable (scart connected to the video at the one side and pairs of yellow, red, white plugs at the other, which i connected with the cable).
    This time I had result and I was able to capture movie(7 minutes=100MB).
    Unfortunately the were NO SOUND I wonder why.

The system I use is Sempron 3000+, Ram 512MB. Is it enough for such work?

Right so it wasn't you being 'thick' then & not having your speakers plugged in ? (an answer just disappeared !)

Another possibility for 'no sound' is that the scart converter you've got isn't wired right, or that you still haven't wired it right yourself.

Each of those coloured rca jacks is for a portion of the signal, if I'm remembering right, yellow is for the video portion, & then white & red are for left & right stereo channels, try some experimentation with the wires in different places..

We are getting issue because of having to use a converter.

ok with the colour little plugs. But what about the other? (the black one at the right) Do i connect it too?
    (the post was disappeared by me as soon as i checked that this was not the problem)
    Last edited by king_of_the_world; January 15th, 2006 at 06:04 AM.