Stuck Registry Key Crashes computer (bsod)

Thread: Stuck Registry Key Crashes computer (bsod)

Stuck Registry Key Crashes computer (bsod)

I have ONE problem only! I use XP pro. After much work, I figured out the excact problem. Whenever I do any type of scan on my registry (virus scan, reg cleaner, etc... EVEN IF I DID A SIMPLE SEARCH FOR A STRING IN REGEDIT!) I would get the BSOD with a PAGE_FAULT.

I figured out that the excact registry string that triggers the bsod is:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVesion\Shar edDLLs
    (The folder itself). (Any search would suddenly crash and I never saw where the search was holding in the registry, so what I did was video tape my computer screen from the start of a registry scan until the bsod crash
    and replayed the video until the last frame before the crash and saw that the above registry key was it. I manualy opened regedit and went there... and what do you know? As soon as I clicked on it to see the keys and values on the right side... yes, BSOD!

I NEED to see the keys inside this "SharedDlls!!" to figure out what the problem is!

I thought of using the "real mode" regedit with the /e to copy the registry to a text file but that doesn't work with the XP hives. Even if I DO know what key to delete... I can't access it from windows - not even safe mode
    - because I get the bsod as soon as I try to access that registry spot. Even in dos I can't run the "scanreg" because I get "Windows found an error in your system files and was unable... bla bla bla".

HOW CAN I ACCESS THE SOFTWARE HIVE FROM DOS AND COPY THE HIVE TO A TEXT FILE that I can later change to a .reg file and reconstruct the registry?

Thank you.

Have you tried any 3rd party registry scanners? Just curious if it is just the windows version or if it happens on anything that looks at that registry folder.

Yes I have...

I have used all types of registry cleaners, scanners and managers. I have used software that log onto windows on it's own OS but uses my registry like "Winternals AdministratorsPak": http://www.winternals.com/Products/AdministratorsPak

and it's the same. Someone suggested another great program called UBCD4WIN (http://www.ubcd4win.com) that seems good and I will try it.

Thanks so far!