Memory reported incorrectly in w2k.

Thread: Memory reported incorrectly in w2k.

Memory reported incorrectly in w2k.

Hello

I’ve installed an additional 256mb of RAM (ktd – dm133/256) into a Dell Dimension 4100 that already had 128mb of RAM. Windows 2000 only displays 110mb in system properties. I’ve removed the original 128mb stick and ran the 256mb module by itself and windows works but still only shows 110mb. I’ve tried swapping the 256 module between the two memory slots without success, still only shows 110mb in Windows. Tried reapplying sp4 and the memory is still reported as 110mb. If I go into the BIOS the memory modules are reported correctly in their respective slots. I’ve flashed the BIOS to the newest version and still no success with the memory. The BIOS does not allow for memory tweaks like timing and voltage. I’ve booted into the system with my Bart’s PE XP-sp2 disk and the full allotment of memory, 384mb, is reported by the BGinfo utility while in Barts pe environment. If I boot from the Dimensions HDD into Windows 2000 and run BGinfo again only 110mb is reported. The 256mb memory module appears to work properly on other systems. Unfortunately I don’t have another Dell Dimension 4100 to test it on.

I would like to avoid a system rebuild as this box has proprietary software that is configured to work with exotic equipment in the company’s R&D department. The manufactures engineer would have to be called onsite to reconfigure the setup.

Thanx.
    No need to be concerned. The voices in my head assure me I am completely sane.

"Dammit Jim I’m a Star Ship surgeon not the free clinic."

Quote Originally Posted by techguy13
    ..only shows 110mb in Windows. ... If I go into the BIOS the memory modules are reported correctly in their respective slots.. The BIOS does not allow for memory tweaks like timing and voltage. I’ve booted into the system with my Bart’s PE XP-sp2 disk and the full allotment of memory, 384mb, is reported by the BGinfo utility while in Barts pe environment. If I boot from the Dimensions HDD into Windows 2000 and run BGinfo again only 110mb is reported..
    Hi dude, methinks first I'd want to know how come I've only got 110mb of main memory in the first place (though I suspect these have onboard video, so maybe that's using most of it, then we've got all that bits to bytes stuff which may account for the rest)..

If the memory added isn't identical to the first lot, you may find that windoze won't see all of it - try this - Windows Memory Diagnostic - which ought to be able to 'see' what windows does - if this can't find it, bios timing issues between the sticks must be what's causing you issue ..