PC powers itself on.

Thread: PC powers itself on.

PC powers itself on.

Just what it says. Why would a PC running windows XP power itself back on after a while when you shut it off.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Check the system BIOS's power settings. It probably has "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Modem" or something similar enabled.

It could be a few things like WOL (Wake On Lan) enabled on the NIC. It could also be a faulty hardware componant like a power supply or switch. Some settings in the BIOS can be set to wake up a computer and you may want to check those. Usually they are under the power management section.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    Check the system BIOS's power settings. It probably has "Wake on LAN" or "Wake on Modem" or something similar enabled.
    I'd have thought similar .. but didn't we just recently have a thread about a very similar thing, & there was no 'WOL' or such set there, but somehow or other stuff was still waking it up ? .. I meant to bookmark the damn thing, but as ever I forgot & search is being its usual unhelpful self ..

When I used to work at Gateway we had some certain models that would do this under certain circumstances, specific motherboard with specific nic, had to have XP installed, and the network card had to be plugged into something whether a cable modem, switch or whatever. If it was not connected to anything this problem would not occur.

This one fell under PME (Power Managment Event) in the bios. Disabling it cured the problem. There was no WOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    This one fell under PME (Power Managment Event) in the bios. Disabling it cured the problem. There was no WOL.
    Ahh that was it ! - I remembered it 'particularly' (even though I couldn't find the thread about it) as its yet another thing to add to compliance testing for large organisations where such things might be important, as despite not setting anything to wake the machine yourself, it might well do it 'randomly' if you didn't test to make sure any method of waking a machine was all completely turned off, or at least only waking when you wanted it to & had told it & not as 'it fancied' ..

I was suprised to see this enabled by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    I was suprised to see this enabled by default.
    Quite right too .. its a security risk for anyone who hasn't realised, especially where many folks might have access (& I'm including 'always on' connections in that)