Memory problem on a P5WD2 PREMIUM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Memory problem on a P5WD2 PREMIUM

Memory problem on a P5WD2 PREMIUM

BELOW IS A COPY OF AN E-MAIL I HAVE SENT TO MUSKIN, I am posting it as maybe someone has had a similar problem, is anyone out there using 800 mhz ddr2 memory in a P5WD2 Premium? or can suggest settings?

Mushkin (991473a) DDR2 2GB (2x1GB) XP6400 5-3-3-8

ref the above, I have an ASUS P5WD2 PREMIUM Motherboard, bios 606, when I first installed memory it would only be detected as PC 4300, after taking advice I went into bios/advanced and manually set the bios to 800 mhz, this worked okay for a while then suddenly after a restart, it would not boot, saying overclocking had failed, now it will omly boot if I set the speed to 667 mhz,

after a posting in your forums I was advised to try adjusting voltage, after a few attempts, I found it would boot at 800 mhz if voltage was set to 2.0 volts, but with this setting I get random reboots and have had to revert to the 667 mhz setting,

I also see you have now discontinued this memory line, is it because you have had problems with it? and do you think I sould return it under warranty?

Are the memory makers not gonna come straight back & blame it on your bios ?

Really it should just work on 'auto' & having to set voltage etc says you are already in trouble ..

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Are the memory makers not gonna come straight back & blame it on your bios ?

Really it should just work on 'auto' & having to set voltage etc says you are already in trouble ..
    The weird bit is when I originally installed it was on the default 533 mhz, then after getting advice I went into advanced/ manuel settings and set it to 800 mhz, and it was fine for about 3 weeks, then on a reboot, it went to bios screen and said overclocking failed, I dropped it down to 667 mhz and it is fine. I suspect a fault has developted, but weird it will run perfectly below its normal speed, this is supposed to be an overclockers dream stuff, (not that I want to overclock) so its going back on rma if I don;t get any joy from asus or muskin tech support soon.

well i have to add this, because this site is a learning curve, I took the side panel off, put a desktop fan blowing into case and upped it back to 800 mhz, and it has been stable for 2 hours, I thinl maybe its about cooling, will keep you informed

http://forums.mushkin.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2538

above is a link to muskin tech support, not getting a lot of joy from them at the moment though

Actually, I've had very similar problems with several different Asus boards (both Intel and AMD) recently. Reboot, get the overclocking failed message, re-reboot and everything may be OK, or I may have to set options in the BIOS to get memory and CPU speeds set correctly. Asus has always instructed me to update the BIOS. Most of the time (no, not always) this has fixed things.

Frankly, I'm not too pleased with Asus right now. Lousy state of affairs when you have fewer setup and reliability issues with boards like ECS than a "high-end" mobo!

Thanks, but silly thought is right, triple checked , even.
    A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

I do use the 1 and 3 the gold coloured slots, others where for fault testing, you are right asus does not have muskin on their list, they only list hynix for 1 gb, nothing for 2 gb, I chose mushkin because hynix not availale, and mushkin claimed in there forums that this memory was ok, they have now also accepted that they are rma suitable, also these ddr2 800's will run sweet at 667 mhz, but I paid for 800 mhz, thanks anyway for input.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by TRICKPLAYER
    I do use the 1 and 3 the gold coloured slots, others where for fault testing, you are right asus does not have muskin on their list, they only list hynix for 1 gb, nothing for 2 gb, I chose mushkin because hynix not availale, and mushkin claimed in there forums that this memory was ok, they have now also accepted that they are rma suitable, also these ddr2 800's will run sweet at 667 mhz, but I paid for 800 mhz, thanks anyway for input.
    Try the first two slots

I think I have sorted it now, I upped the memory voltage to 2.15 volts, its been stable for a few hours now,

I think I have sorted it now, I upped the memory voltage to 2.15 volts, its been stable for a few hours now,
    What did it start at ? .. you upped this once to 2v already (I'm thinking it'll have started life at 1.8v ?) - methinks it won't last long if you've got it overpowered that much, & I like this 'mad advice' you got over at their forums "yes the voltage in red is normal, it's a warning" (paraphrases a bit) " but just ignore that"

DDR2 is pretty pants in terms of timings etc, it isn't a fully matured technology - I hope you bought this with your credit card as I think you've just been had on ..

well I have asked their tech support if the voltage is ok, they have not come back yet, but I will be keeping a copy of their answer, I must admit it is running at full speed now and it is perfect, as you say how long?, but gonna have to chance it if they ok it.

Cool

well I have asked their tech support if the voltage is ok, they have not come back yet, but I will be keeping a copy of their answer, I must admit it is running at full speed now and it is perfect, as you say how long?, but gonna have to chance it if they ok it.

Did ya try the first two slots, has simular mb recommended splitting the memory had the same problem, put it in the first two slots ran fine, if you
    toast your ram using non recommended voltage Mushkin is not going to replace it.

If I use the first 2 slots it will not run in dual channel mode, I paid big money for this stuff and want my pound of meat out of it, their tech support have told me they need more voltage, but am waiting in their ok, for the voltage setting, but thanks anyway for the input, I must admit I am well happy with it if the setting is ok, its running perfect,

just to conclude, the mushkin tech support say the voltage is ok, and my warranty is fine also, my pc is running sweet,