XP downgrade

Thread: XP downgrade

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar

XP downgrade

customer running Windows 2000. has oem Windows XP home. Will not allow upgrade only clean install. Question. Can we install XP pro, (upgrade), then downgrade the install to XP home via the oem Home XP??
    Sergeant WOTPP

Not quite sure of the legalities of the page you kinked to. So falling back on the better safe than sorry policy, link removed.

DA
    Last edited by Damned Angel; January 17th, 2006 at 09:46 AM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Err what happens if you end up needing to activate this ? That phone call to M$ will be interesting ..

Wouldn't it just be easier to cough up the bucks for the XP Home Upgrade? After you factor in your time, how can you save him any money on the workaround? I'd p&m, shake my head in regret, and then buy his OEM XP for $10 or $15 under current prices, get him an upgrade version and install it. We aren't talking about some bootleg or otherwise illegal OEM copy are we? You're not out of pocket for the OEM purchase 'cause you're just issuing a credit, right?

It's the customer's oem version. he bought it online. It's a valid copy of home. It's just an oem.
    Sergeant WOTPP

To be legal, he's going to have to get the xp home upgrade disk.

If I were you, I'd just tell it to him straight, you want to upgrade, fine, buy the upgrade, you want to reinstall all your apps or pay me to do it, fine, I'll wipe the drive and install your oem disk.

When it comes to software legalities at work, don't bother trying to bend the rules, it aint worth the risks involved if you ever get busted.

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    It's the customer's oem version. he bought it online. It's a valid copy of home. It's just an oem.
    I believe this is your problem, not OEM versus Retail or Upgrade:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...ng/matrix.mspx

You can't upgrade Windows 2000 to XP Home - only XP Pro, since both are considered "Professional" operating systems.

The best you're going to be able to do is use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" from XP Home to gather documents and settings to transfer to the XP Home install once it's done.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Isn't OEM legal if sold with a new piece of harware ??? (ie, a hard drive, motherboard, etc.)??

That's how it used to be, but then again, its been quite a few years since I've been in retail.

Also, I never bother "upgrading" any OS, regardless of whether I'm using an upgrade or not, a clean install is always best when switching OS's.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    Isn't OEM legal if sold with a new piece of harware ??? (ie, a hard drive, motherboard, etc.)??

That's how it used to be, but then again, its been quite a few years since I've been in retail.

Also, I never bother "upgrading" any OS, regardless of whether I'm using an upgrade or not, a clean install is always best when switching OS's.
    Yes, that's true 3fs, but as rgharper said, the problem is going from 2000 pro to xp home. The upgrade version of home won't work wither.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MobilePCPhysician
    Yes, that's true 3fs, but as rgharper said, the problem is going from 2000 pro to xp home. The upgrade version of home won't work wither.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    now i understand what you are asking.

also, probably won't help with running your proprietary software, but if he legally owns xp home, he could probably dual-boot both OS's.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

Arrow

If everything was OEM full version XP pro can't be downgraded to XP home.There is no downgrade path for xp, you need to format the hard drive to rid it of everything and reinstall xp-home clean and fresh.
    it can't be done any other way.
    Last edited by street1; January 16th, 2006 at 09:54 PM. Reason: add
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.