I did a uprade on my own system here a couple weeks ago:

MSI K8N NEO-F
    Athlon AMD 64 4000+
    1gig Corsair XMS 3200 memory
    A2 Sound Card
    2 WD Raptors on Raid 0
    DVDRW/DVD/CDRW
    Floppy

Put allmost all my software on then put Norton Gohst 9.0 on and every time after when I install something it will not do a shut down or shut down restart. It starts to then it hangs on "windows is shutting down" and goes no further. I have confirmed it is Ghost with several different forms and have actually installed Norton just after updates and everything beyond that point this happens. Anything within Norton that would cause this? Any ideas?
    Last edited by Kodiak; December 19th, 2005 at 11:28 PM.

Event viewer must have something to tell us ..?

What OS?

This is with windows XP Pro with all updates on software and hardware.

Confused I just did a test. Since I was having the problem I uninstalled Norton and have since not had a problem so I reinstalled it, cleared all events, installed an application, tried to reboot and it haulted on "Windows is shutting down" again had to hit reset to get back to windows, checked event log and there is no references to any problems. No errors or warnings.

So don't use norton then !

I just don't use norton .. can you still configure it in learn mode ? Do that I guess & it should report what's holding it up ?

You might want to read up on "Norton Ghost 9.0 compatibility with Windows XP Service Pack 2"
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...sch_nam&seg=hm

Also, notice the link for BSOD after installing 9.0 or SP2.

hth
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    So don't use norton then !

I just don't use norton .. can you still configure it in learn mode ? Do that I guess & it should report what's holding it up ?

Thats what I had been doing but I kind of like it really but if it won't work I will have to let it go.

DonJ I have installed it on many systems with no problems at all with SP2 and it only seems to be a problem on this system. Not having any blue screens at all to speak of. PC turns on and everything work awesome on this board but with Norton installed if I install anything the next time I go to reboot or shutdown the PC it will not do so and hangs at the "windows is shutting down screen" after the desktop has been shut down and settings saved. If I install nothing it will restart just fine. Strange problem indead.

Thanks for the replys BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    ..DonJ I have installed it on many systems with no problems at all with SP2 and it only seems to be a problem on this system..
    What Don posted the fix for, is common enough, but it relates to startup issues, not closing down, as if its having any problems with DEP you'd know before hitting desktop, besides the 'bsods' described in the KB, you can get a variation with a load of weird startup messages about not being able to execute things due to system restrictions ..

btw kodiak no floppy left in the drive ? There's a well known one for 'NIS' .. but just what version exactly of 'norton' are we talking about ? - I'm sure it'd make googling easier !

I suggest Acronis 9

Since Ghost 9 i stopped using this software, because it needs you to load MS framework and really gets your computer "Heavy"......
    I had some issues with non-working scheduled tasks.......
    Anyway, after messing around with Paragon and Acronis 8 and 9, I want to tell you that Acronis Truimage 9 is GREAT !!! it's doing a very good job,it's stable,versatile,and quite cheap (50$).
    It's boot is kind of small and works great, i really enjoy it.
    And most of all it's small (around 35mb before install), and it does not force you to install MS framework.
    Be well :O)

Ghost 10

If you insist on Ghost, I've heard there is ghost 10 out there....To baldly go when no ghost has cloned before.... :O)

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoper
    Since Ghost 9 i stopped using this software, because it needs you to load MS framework ..
    As in '.net' ? (Just looked it up, & yes it is) .. so then 'norton' (whatever version it is) is maybe blocking the broadcast messages that ghost is trying to kick out ? (.net stuff is for managing networkwide apps 'really' & sends broadcast messages via udp to other machines or processes for monitoring reasons) I think most of the norton firewall stuff blocks any incoming or outbound attempts during shutdown by default - so maybe its that ?

There's definately .net updates available, have we got those applied ?

Oh sorry I thought I put Ghost 9.0. Getting busy and crazy here at the business. Love it though but this is a starnge issue. No floppy and yes all net updates are installed. I did here of that one with NIS. This is one of the few Norton product I really like. I used it on my previous system with the same programs with no problem.

I also have acronis and it works well also and use it while I figure this one out. I mostly want to figure this one out at this point so I know what it is incase I see it in the field. I like to log those things in the old brain for later use however most of the time it gor=es in one ear and out the other my wife wife would tell you. I have used it on many PC's but have yet to see the problem come up.
    Last edited by Kodiak; December 21st, 2005 at 08:06 AM.

Hey now I have been up since 4:30am and it is now 5:10am and I took a look for updates and just noticed a critical update for Netframework so installed and I will try Norton again. Must of just came out because I get criticals every day.

As far as Norton over Acronis goes I just like the better options Norton gives you for scheduling.

Ghost issue

I had a similar issue with Ghost awhile back. It was actually with version 8.5, but close to what you are experiencing. I ended up running a diagnostic program called PC-Check on my system & found one of the memory modules was bad. There were no error messages reported by windows at all, nothing in event viewer, nothing at startup or shutdown, just froze at the shutdown screen. Maybe you have a bad memory module.

Update didn't change anything. I will check again but I did run PC Certify all night long with no problems and memtest 86+. All timings set according to corsair specs.
    Last edited by Kodiak; December 21st, 2005 at 09:14 PM.