Tough Question

Thread: Tough Question

Question Tough Question

We recently purchased software for document control. You can make the finished documents viewable via the internet. Right now, I have the software loaded on the server (2003) and I can view the page fine via browser inside the network by typing in the http://servername/filename (which is locate in the c:\inetpub\wwwroot directory).
    My question is: What do i need to do to be able to have users outside the network (Internet) access this site? I will probably have to rooute them through the firewall to a port, but what port would I use? Any help would be VERY appreciated. Thanks!
    -SCHTUDE

Quote Originally Posted by SCHTUDE
    We recently purchased software for document control. You can make the finished documents viewable via the internet. Right now, I have the software loaded on the server (2003) and I can view the page fine via browser inside the network by typing in the http://servername/filename (which is locate in the c:\inetpub\wwwroot directory).
    My question is: What do i need to do to be able to have users outside the network (Internet) access this site? I will probably have to rooute them through the firewall to a port, but what port would I use? Any help would be VERY appreciated. Thanks!
    -SCHTUDE
    Port 80 open on router to server.

Also make sure that IIS is set up to allow all IP addressses to connect. You may want to make this a virtual directory (if you haven't already) in your default web site and only allow access to all IP's to that specific site. Otherwise all the internal sites in default site such as cert services, etc. will be available to the outside world.

emr

You are opening a can of worms. Better have the users that need access connect through VPN or have a dedicated server in a DMZ. Don't give outsiders access to your server or else...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Thanks...

I was on the right track, just needed a bit more info to get it done. Thanks! Working great. Now, are there security concerns (probably!) now that we have allowed this? Any way to make it a bit more secure?

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    You are opening a can of worms.. Don't give outsiders access to your server or else...
    Well said that man ! .. asking for trouble - public servers want isolating from your intranet, if you want to be really sure.

Generally I'd say any public access copy of your intranet requires a seperate machine, itself firewalled from your own internal systems.