Corrupted files unable to remove help!!!

Thread: Corrupted files unable to remove help!!!

Unhappy Corrupted files unable to remove help!!!

I have corrupted files on my main drive due to a faulty Restore using Acronis True Image
    Microsoft states the following regarding corrupted files (see below). Can anyone help me find a suitable method to remove these files short of a reinstall? Remember I have been working on this for 5 days and I have searched and tried almost every suggestion I could source via Google. Finally I come to the Guru site!! How about cloning my drive? I have a second formatted unused drive (D) in my system. Can anyone one suggest a good cloning software.

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to delete a file on an NTFS volume, you may receive the following error message:
    Cannot delete file name: The file or directory is corrupt and unreadable.
    The System event log in Windows NT 4.0 contains the following message:
    Event ID: 41
    Source: Diskperf
    Description: The file system structure on disk is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the device with label "Volume_name"
    The System event log in Windows 2000 contains the following message:
    Event ID: 55
    Source: NTFS
    Description: The file system structure on disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume "Drive_letter:"
    If you run Chkdsk against the volume, Chkdsk may or may not make repairs, but afterwards you still cannot delete the corrupted file.
    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if the NTFS volumes' Master File Table (MFT) is corrupted. The short and long file name pairs that are stored in the directory index record and the file names that are stored in the associated File Record Segment (FRS) contain case-sensitive characters that do not match.

NTFS supports case-sensitive (POSIX) file names, but Chkdsk does not check file names in case-sensitive mode.

For example, assume that the directory index record has a BADFILe.TXT entry but the FRS has a BADFILE.TXT entry for the file name. NTFS views this as being invalid or corrupted, but Chkdsk compares only the names and ignores the case. It does not make repairs.
    RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, back up the volume that contains the corrupted file(s) and exclude the corrupted file(s) from the backup job. Reformat the volume, and then restore from the backup.

Is this problem happening on a data partition or a system partition? If it is a data partition, why not just format and restore from the backup? This may take few hours depending on the amount of data, but not 5 days. Even on a system partition, it may sometimes be easier and faster to do a basic install of windows and then restore over. Another hint: if your backup software has an option of verifying the tapes, use it.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

System Partion

This problem is on my main drive which has only one partion. Because the files are corrupted the OS does not recognize them. However they do appear in the Explorer window.

Hi,
    can you copy the files to another drive?
    Try this http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

I would suggest you try a Knoppix livecd- This should run outside the parameters of Windoze, and hopefully shouldn't be affected by the MS crap.

-Leezer-

Other options beside Knoppix would be to run Bart's PE or MiniPE - this way you have native windowze tools to check and fix the disk. But again, it may be faster and easier to just clone your disk sector by sector just in case $hit happens, then format and restore from your full and differential backups.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!