sidewinder joystick problem..

Thread: sidewinder joystick problem..

sidewinder joystick problem..

Hi ive been trying to get this bloody thing to work, first of the only game it works with is motocross madness 2, now if I have the joystick plugged in no other game will even start up battlefield, hitman, etc, not even "game controllers" in control panel, they only work when the joystick is not connected (except for mcm2).

In device manager "microsoft sidewinder precision pro (usb)" is detected, the joystick has a serial to usb connector/

umm... im running xp which auto dectects the joystick, and are yeah its pissing me off all want to do is get it working so I can play MX vs ATV Unleashed which also wont start unless the joystick isn't connected.

I use to get things like (still do sometimes)

"An exception occurred while trying to run Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL joy.cpl"

any help would be great thank you...

well I tryed the steering wheel and that works so it must because of the "serial to usb connector" I guess i'll just get another joystick.

Alright I bought a Logitech, reinstalled windows, updated everything, and still nothing.

Things are a little different now though....

First off to play any games I have to replace dinput8.dll with an older version otherwise the games wont launch. (always done this just thought I would mention it)

I go to launch the game (with joystick attached) and some times it gets to the menu of the game but then it flashes a blank screen once or twice like it's gonna die and then it crashes to the fricken desktop with an error thing I click on details and its that damn dinput8.dll !!!!

Someone please help I just want to play MX vs ATV Unleashed

EDIT ========

All fixed see here http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...497#post615497
    Last edited by alex_k; January 24th, 2006 at 12:37 AM.

Uhhmmm do you have a usb joystick then?
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

have you updated direct-x to 9.0c? I'm not an expert with game problems but i would try to reinstall the game with the joy connected.

Hi there, this looks to me like a direct x problem or driver problem. Could you be a little more specific about the "serial to usb" thing you mentioned - just that I have never heard of or come across such a thing. I would recomend reinstall direct x and checking for the lastest driver for your joypad on the manufactuers website.