Should you be worried about what your kids do in school?

Thread: Should you be worried about what your kids do in school?

If you have kids, then the school uses them as a postal system. All kinds of letters come home with your kids, some informing you of school trips, others about policy and some about the work your kid is expected to do for a project or a part of the curriculum.

This one came home the other day...

Dear Parents

As a part of year 10 P.S.H.E. course, we are currently looking at relationships, and this includes some elements of Sex Education and is a continuation of the work of the visiting "Learning Through Action" group earlier this year.

If you would like any more information about the P.S.H.E. course, please do not hesitate to contact me.

[name removed]
    Head of Year 10
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Ya'll don't pay teachers enough over there either, do you?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    "Learning Through Action"
    LOL. Well, in the end (pun intended), isn't this how we all learn?

But in this specific instance, I doubt that there is any real cause for concern for your kid.

I would have more concern over the letter writer's inability to appreciate irony. The UK has developed irony, refined it, and honed and polished it to a point where it is almost a weapon of mass destruction. The writer's inablility here would seem to be grounds for imprisonment, perhaps even a revoking of citizenship. You should go to your local police station and raise concerns about non-ironic subversives in the school system undermining the Government and the British way of life.

In a general sense, you should always be worried about your kids. It is your job. But you can't put them in bubble wrap. They would suffocate.

There was a man on the CBC speaking to a group of parents. He asked them how they would like their childern to grow up. The general consesus was that parents wanted their children to grow up to be strong and independent. He asked them about how children should behave. The general consesus was that they should be passive and obedient. He asked them about how they looked after their kids. Generally the kids were sheltered, protected, insulated, isolated, etc. He asked the parents how they expected their children ever to develop into strong independent adults. There was general silence.

I have a fifteen-year-old daughter. She looks like she is twenty one or twenty two. She goes out on her own on public transit. She now has a boyfriend. My heart is in my mouth every time she steps out the door. I would like to pack her in bubble warp. In my patriarchal anxiety, I think about chastity belts -- I know what I was like as a teenage boy . But I do think, that fledglings must be allowed to flap their wings a bit before they have to make the leap from the edge of the nest. It's not easy to let go, though.
    Last edited by houseisland; January 21st, 2006 at 12:33 PM.

Well, Noo, I'd be pretty concerned if I thought "Learning Through Action" actually meant what it says, but I'd just chalk it up to Administrative stupidity. Of course, there is some slight chance that it could reflect sly and subtle humor, but that raises the truly frightening prospect that your school could be teaching your children to think!

NO!
    By year 10, I would think that "learning through action" would be the natural next step. And, of course, some of that next step should have already been learned...the good and the bad, no?

Oh good grief... you think I am serious? jeez...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Noo, do you think we're serious? jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Noo, do you think we're serious? jeez.
    Geesh.

I remember taking Sex Ed, and it wasn't nearly as much fun as I thought that it would be...
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I'm with you on Sex Ed, Guts! Sex Susie was a different story...