Sony DVD +/-RW/+/-R/CD Will not read DVD's anymore, Please help!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sony DVD +/-RW/+/-R/CD Will not read DVD's anymore, Please help!

Sony DVD +/-RW/+/-R/CD Will not read DVD's anymore, Please help!

Ok, the run down on my Sony DRU-530A:

I have used this drive for the last two years, and everything has worked fine. The only part of this drive that I never used in two years was burning a DVD. The other day I wanted to make an audio DVD of MP3's for our New Years party, so I started Nero 7 and went through the steps to burn the DVD. Once it started the burning process, the timer said it would take around 12 minutes to burn the disk. After about 20 minutes, the status bar never went beyond the 3 green bars it had. So I thought to myself, maybe it messed up someway. So I cancelled it, and attempted to start over. Inserted another blank DVD+R (Playo) and the DVD drive wouldnt recognize it. I opened windows explorer and right clicked on my DVD drive, hit properties, and it showed the pie circle in blue, with 0 bytes.

So, I stuck in a blank CD-R to see what would happen and it read it just fine, so I burnt some songs to it. Works great. Thought maybe that a DVD would work now. Stuck in another blank DVD+R, and the same thing. The light on the drive stays on, I NEVER hear it spin up, all I hear are little clicks like it is trying to do something. I have left it for at least a couple minutes and nothing. Open it up and the disk has moved, so I know it tried to work. Last thing I tried was updating the firmware. Did it, and still the same results.

This morning I tried messing with it again and this is exactly what I have done so far:

Uninstalled Nero 7
    Uninstalled Alcohol 120%

Stuck in a blank CD-R and the windows option window popped up with the following choices:

Open writeable folder (Explorer)
    Burn a CD (WMP)
    Launch Nero Start Smart (Nero) WHICH IS UNINSTALLED!!! (No icons though)
    Make a data disk (Nero) WHICH IS UNINSTALLED!!! (No icons though)
    Make an audio CD (Nero) WHICH IS UNINSTALLED!!! (No icons though)

Stuck in a blank DVD+R and then the Sony install disk for the drive which is a DVD and again, for both disks, the DVD Drive light stays on and it makes some noises.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Alcohol120 and other Virtual Drive programs tend to create problems when removed.

Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

and run this: http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero7_Clean_Tool.html

and do a complete re-install of Nero 7 (remember to update it to the latest 7.0.1.4b)

..Launch Nero Start Smart (Nero) WHICH IS UNINSTALLED!!! (No icons though)
    Make a data disk (Nero) WHICH IS UNINSTALLED!!! (No icons though)
    Make an audio CD (Nero) WHICH IS UNINSTALLED!!! (No icons though)..
    Mmmmm .. magic software ! I'm most impress-ed ! , so welcome to windriver's forums Kenny

Nero seven's not long out though, so if you haven't used the burning function in a while, then you probably had some version of 6 before, & one of the gripes with the new version is about the uninstaller for previous versions not always working, so I can only assume you've suffered that or similar (errant registry entries are causing this)

Just what we do next to try & fix matters, I guess depends on what else also might be wrong, have you tried cleaning the drive ? (it can often be that simple) & can you find the bit 'filter order load tool' in the sticky at the top of this forum & post the results ?

thanks, will keep u posted. Doing honey-do list stuff today!!!

Upper Device Filter redbook
    Driver Name: redbook.sys
    File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
    File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
    File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Product Name Microsoft Windows Operating System
    Product Version 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
    Company Name Microsoft Corporation
    Copyright Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved

Lower Device Filter imapi
    Driver Name: imapi.sys
    File Location: c:\windows\system32\drivers
    File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
    File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
    Product Name Microsoft Windows Operating System
    Product Version 5.1.2600.2180 [5.1.2600.2180]
    Company Name Microsoft Corporation
    Copyright Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved

I did this after I booted to safe mode, removed the drive, then booted back to windows and let it install the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Alcohol120 and other Virtual Drive programs tend to create problems when removed.

Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/en-us

and run this: http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Nero7_Clean_Tool.html

and do a complete re-install of Nero 7 (remember to update it to the latest 7.0.1.4b)
    I REALLY dont want to mess with the registry unless we can pin point that as the problem. I found the two entries as the article said, but I havent deleted them yet. I have screwed up my pc many time messing with the reg, and I just dont want to do it again.

I did however run the NERO tool and it said that I have "some Nero applications that are not supported by this version" Any idea?

..I REALLY dont want to mess with the registry unless we can pin point that as the problem..

You don't need to do the particular reg fix techz pointed you at (though I have a feeling some reg edits may be the only way), the results of the filter load order tool you gave me earlier, say you don't need it (Imapi & redbook.sys are generally ok, the filters fix usually only applies when there are any other values showing up ).

..some Nero applications that are not supported by this version..

I can only guess its as I suspected & not all of nero 6 got correctly removed (seems to support my theory more?) when you installed 7?.. I think 'next' do what Techz suggests last & try yet another install of nero 7 ?

Ok, will re-install Nero tonight when I get home from work!

Ok, went to update it and downloaded the correct file. When I started the update, it wwent thruough some extractions and then a Nero program window came up saying "Welcome to the Installation Wizard for Nero 7 Demo"! I havent completed the update yet cause this doesnt seem right. What should I do???

Nero demo's become 'full copies' when/if you give them a valid serial number for that series (they are already full copies just time limited) - just install the updated copy & use your original serial number

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Nero demo's become 'full copies' when/if you give them a valid serial number for that series (they are already full copies just time limited) - just install the updated copy & use your original serial number
    ahhh ok, sorry its taking me awhile to get these steps done. I have had some major plumbing problems to deal with, but should be able to mess with it more now.

Ok, installed Nero 7 again, did the update and still no DVDs.

Bah ! .. I was hanging on to the notion that the unistaller might do its stuff properly this time .. seems not !

So (& this is getting to be a 'pita' now) try taking seven off again, & give this tool at Nero a go;- General Clean Tool (that's for version 6, they ain't written one for 7 yet afaik) to completely get rid of nero 6 & then try yet again ..

(its like groundhog day ! )

Aye, just like groundhog day, still wont read/write DVD's... Even tried different versions of Nero. 7 Platinum, 7 Premium, and 6.

Next step?

Just to be sure its not a Nero problem, give DeepBurner Free a go, http://www.deepburner.com/