USB flash drive partition HELP - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: USB flash drive partition HELP

Had same problem. Got it fixed. This is how.

Had similar problem with external micro-SD 8 GB Kingston card, inserted into USB slot via USB Kit, running on a windows XP Home Edition SP-3, and wrecked by Dell.

Problem:

After running a batch installation of a Dell diagnostics program, which installed the whole program on a flash drive that it made bootable, the capacity of the drive dropped from 8GB to 2GB. I spent one hour on the phone with Dell. First they tried to pass the buck, saying that this was a hardware problem with hardware that was not theirs. When I persisted, indicating that this was a brand new, fully functioning micro-SD card that worked fine before their program botched it, they decided to help. However, after spending an hour with the Dell techician on the phone, and she tried everything she knew, I gave up on Dell. Next I called Kingston. That was a one minute conversation, since they were not willing to help. So, after spending another hour or so trying a variety of things, I managed to solve the problem. Here's how:

Solution:

1. Downloaded free partition management program CompuApps-SwissKnife version three at: http://download.cnet.com/CompuApps-S...-10070864.html

2. Installed SwissKnife.

3. Deleted the active partition. Couldn't do anything to unallocated memory in inactive partition.

4. Used Norton Systemworks CD and ran disk doctor. It detected two partitions on the flash drive and asked me if I wanted to restore and/or recover them and to repair the partition table.

5. I said yes and dd was able to recover the lost partition.

6. I rebooted.

7. I formatted the flash drive, and presto the computer could now see the full available capacity (7.40 GB's) as one partition.

Hope this helps. AT

I'm also interested with this kind of problem because right now I'm planning to partition my 2gb flash drive but don't have any idea on what to do.. please share whatever solution to fix this kind of problem so we could use it for future refs.

You could read the suggestion that was just posted before your post.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.