Network printer

Thread: Network printer

Network printer

Hi,

I am having difficulty setting a network printer as a defualt printer on a xp machine. I need to add two of the same printer, to the machine. One printer print from Tray 1 and the other printer from Tray 2. I add one printer as the name of printer on network using Tray 1 and add the another same printer using Tray 2....I rename the 2nd printer port as the IP of the printer instead of name of printer. When i change the settings on the 2nd printer, it also change the settings on the 1st printer too. Any Help? john

direct connection

Y-389,

You don't say how the "network printer" is attached to the network...but your XP machine connects directly to the printer. It does not matter if you connect with an IP addy or a name - it's all the same printer. So when you are chosing a paper tray, that tray is the tray you will use when you connect to that printer.

I know that is not a solution, but I recognize the problem! Perhaps there is another way....I cannot think of one right off

good luck! I (for one) will keep pondering...
    Do all the good you can, whenever you can, for whomever you can...

Hostname resolves to IP via DNS or WINS, it doesn't matter that you add the printer via hostname and the other via IP they are consider the same, therefore changes to one means changes to the other.

Is its a big deal to go to Printer Setup or Printer Properties before you print?

The only way around it off the top of my head is that you add the printer via IP/hostname from a TCP/IP port and also add the printer once connect via LPT1/USB (which ever printer has) directly to your printer.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    I'm confiused?? Do you have 2 printers of the samd make and model? Or one printer that you want to use different print trays for different print jobs????
    Sergeant WOTPP

i think you are gonna have to just select the tray you want when you print...