Ubuntu Linux Success Story

Thread: Ubuntu Linux Success Story

Ubuntu Linux Success Story

I've always been a Windows man sice the days of 3.0. I've tried to use different linux distros but felt inhibited by the extensive use of the command line and cryptic config files. To boot, alot of documentation I got on using linux is taylored to a specific version and even when I got the right docs for the right version alot of the time something wasn't installed right or of some unknow reason what it said to do in the doc still didn't work. I relegated linux as a toy that you had to play and tinker with to do serious work. This went on for years untill I discovered Ubuntu!
    I was amazed at how easy it was to use and how easy it was to find help on the internet. When I felt comfortable enough I decided to try converting my home server to linux server in October 2005. I had trouble understanding(and still do) permissions for shared files with Samba, but I got it working and password protected. Ubuntu had a driver for my networked HP Color Laserjet 3500 out of the box, a feature that I still marvel at. With some reading and file editing I soon had a windows print server setup. This was all I was using for the time being but soon started making the server do other things. Using HylaFax I was able to setup a fax server for my Windows PCs, the email notification option still doesn't work but I was able to fax just the same. I next tried a PDF creator. With little trouble I was able to print to a "network printer" on a Windows PC and goto a shared folder on the server and the item I just printed was now a PDF document.
    Also this server has been a set and forget server. The server has only been rebooted twice after all this was setup, and then it was only due to power failures. I still don't belive to is quite polished enough to make it a mainstream desktop OS but for a server, it rocks! I highly recommend Ubuntu to anyone trying to learn linux and its practical uses as a server.

Ubuntu is one of our favorite distros here at work.

I love the Boot CD.

They can also ship the installation and boot CDs to you. Free.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Nothing but good things to say about Ubuntu. Another flavor is Suse that I've had great luck with, the Live ver is also bootable from the cd. Free iso downloads from Novell : http://www.novell.com/products/susel...ds/suse_linux/

Ditto on the praise for Ubuntu. Far fewer dependancy problems/headaches encountered so far than with any other distro tried. Much better in this respect than Red Hat or Suse which, IMHO, are both pretty damned good themselves.

I love the Ubuntu Breezy browser appliance for the free VMWare Player. I use it all the time when I go surfing off the beaten path.

DVader, your post is encouraging one, many thanks for sharing your experience and others too.

Hi, I just got the latest 32 and 64-bit distros in the mail the other day. What file systems did you partition your drives for installation?

Wink

Ive been using Linux off and on for several years .. I have to agree Ubuntu is a slick distro .. I also Find Knoppix to be very usable. The Live cd's are great. Soon Id like to replace my Windows pdc and Dns servers with Linux. The news about Samba 4 and LDAP is very encouraging.
    Reinstalling Windows to resolve an issue is Like cracking a Walnut with a Sledge Hammer. The Walnut will crack. But whats the point if nothing salvageable remains

Duke of Rezin Hi, I just got the latest 32 and 64-bit distros in the mail the other day. What file systems did you partition your drives for installation?
    I used ext3 on all my partitions for both OS and data storage. No issues yet.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure which one would be appropriate.

OK, So I too installed ubuntu on a spare laptop I have and it really is the best version of Linux I have used in quite some time. But my question is this...how do I install apps on this thing?

I'm trying to install Firefox 1.5 but I've only been able to extract the tar file. Now I want to update the version of Firefox that it comes with.

How?!?!?!?!
    Shoot 'em up! Shoot 'em up! Pow! Pow!

Congrats DVader

I have been playing with all the different distro's for years and I must say that Suse is also really good.

I have setup a SLES 9 box with mailman (mail list server) running on it, flawlessly, after struggling to get it working. But, I have learnt a hell of alot. I use exim as my MTA (Mail Transfer Agent).

BTW: I only started working with SLES 9 seriously as of last year and had this project I had to do for a company that we support.

Remember anything is possible with linux...

HoNda's NeVeR dIe ThEy JusT gO faSteR!!!

I've been running Ubuntu full time since June last year, and I couldn't be happier. I tried many other Linux distros, but never really felt at home using them, Ubuntu is different in that respect, I'm used to it, although I'm still a newbie at the configuring stuff
    I'd be the village idiot, but that spot is already taken.

Note to self: No-one cares about your system specs

Quote Originally Posted by Low_Level_Owl
    OK, So I too installed ubuntu on a spare laptop I have and it really is the best version of Linux I have used in quite some time. But my question is this...how do I install apps on this thing?

I'm trying to install Firefox 1.5 but I've only been able to extract the tar file. Now I want to update the version of Firefox that it comes with.

How?!?!?!?!
    If the repositories have been updated it should be as easy as going to a terminal as root and typing apt-get update then apt-get install firefox.

I don't think there is an installer for linux I believe you just unpack it to the dir you want to run it from and run the firefox executable.

Extract the tarball in the directory where you want to install Firefox:

tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.0.1.tar.gz

This will create a firefox subdirectory of that directory.