Running Apps from server 2003 on a client

Thread: Running Apps from server 2003 on a client

Running Apps from server 2003 on a client

This may seem very simple to some but I have just started messing with server and haven't figured out how or if even possible this is. I am wanting to run a server with all of my games and apps on it so that the client pc's can run them without being installed on the client. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think you'll be able to run the games directly on the the server. I tried to do something common on win2003 server that involved the heavy use of graphics and it wasn't able to do it. The program errored out that something wasn't installed right or this computer is a server, I cannot remember what I was doing anymore .
    This is what I ended up doing. Alot of older or simpler programs don't use the registry, these I put on a shared drive on the server and ran from a mapped drive on my computers. It was trial and error, you could try installing the program on your computer, moving the files to the server and then uninstalling the program and seeing if it will still run.
    On the programs that required the CD, I purchased a program called GameDrive that makes basically an ISO of the CD and even emulates the copy protection of game CDs. I store these images on my server's shared drive and when I need it, I ask GameDrive to load it from the file. It has been a lifesaver as my wife ruined the motor in a CDdrive by leaving a CD in it all day(maybe a cheap drive?) and now I don't have to worry about scratching the CD as after the image is made they a packed away in a cupboard.

So, the client runs the game, but loads off the Server?

Why not install on the client, redirect installation folder to a mapped drive on the server.

Remember that if you only have 1 user licence for this software, only 1 user can legally launch it at any given time.

Another option is to go with a Terminal Server system you can run off Windows Server 2003, but that may not be cost effective if all you want is to run games.
    Last edited by Stalemate; February 1st, 2006 at 02:30 PM.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Yes you could do it that way as well. GameDrive goes a step further, alot of games require you to have the CD in the drive for at least starting the game(ie Age of Emp. 2, Sims) even though it is already fully installed. Gamedrive emulates a "CDDrive" on the client computer that is really reading the image on the server. Thus you can run everthing from the server voiding the need to use the original CD.

Might want to check out a free disc image mounting tool...

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/announcements.php

Of course there is always the NoCD/NoDVD... nevermind.

Stalemate is right in suggesting terminal services, but you don't need server 2003. xp pro has a limited version of termnal services called remote desktop. You could in theory set up an xp pro box to do as you say, however the graphics capabilities (resolutions and depth rates) are very limited in terminal services. Also the time lag is so huge for graphic intensive games, even as old as quake2, iit makes them unplayable. old style games such as mame are usually ok. give it a try ane see if it works for you.....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."