compcrap deskpro 2000
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: compcrap deskpro 2000

compcrap deskpro 2000

Is their a way into the bios on this old piece of crap. I continually press f10 on reboot and it does nothing! I would like to put a new pci vid card in this machine as it plays dos games in win98 like a champ. It's so easy that way.To do that I need to disable the on board VC in the bios!. I have 4 32mb ram edo 72 pin sims on the way from ebay which should make win98 run a little better. It currently has 49+ mb? I think the bios counts the 1 mb video chip cuz it actuall has 48 mbs--2 16 mb chips and 2 8mb chips.
    Wing command heart of the tiger runs smooth----- as does startrek NG a final unity.
    When I had my Gateway 486X2 66mhz-- I envied this machine with a pentium 133mhz! Who ever heard of 49 mbs of ram back then!
    The wiedest thing about this computer is the sound card. Its made by creative and its seen in windows as soundblaster 16 or awe. It has a very wierd game port. I've never seen anything like it, it almost is as big as a parallel port, but thiner. It's a problem cuz I'd like to play WingCommander with a joy stick! There are no usb poirts on this old F"
    Any advice would be apprciated!
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Well right off I would say it could be F2 or something else. Compaq did use some weird keys for the bios.
    I usually mash a bunch of keys in hopes of getting a keyboard error which then asks me to press maybe F1 to enter setup.
    Its not successfull manay times but it has worked.
    Another thing. When you change the memory its likely gonna bawk and ask you to go to the bios to reconfigure and save th enew memory. That may be another way into there.
    As for the joystick problem. You can likely add a PCI to USB card if you have a spare PCI slot
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Compaq had an idiot idea (one of many) to put the bios on the HDD in a seperate partition. You may want to run FDISK from a boot disk and see if it's there.

Well I have one open pci/isa slot. If I put the vid card ati rage chip with 8mb mem in it , then I have no more open slots. The sound card is a huge thing on a pci/isa slot. Maybe I could put a slightly more modern sound card in this beast. I still wouldn't have usb, but if I have the above work, its not important.
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Shamus, when I installed win on this old F' I was flashed a warning that said something to the effect that thier was a disk catching utility or a compressed drive operating, and it advised me to run my disk catching utility. Well I ignored that and things went fine on the install. fdisk saw no other partition and formatted the disk.
    I downloaded a compaq utility that made a disk that's diagnostic, It hangs when it trys to diagnose the HDD. That I think is because of----fat32 disk instead of fat16. There is a choice to go to setup from this diagnostic disk, but if I try to go there it asks for the setup disk!? Did Compcrap put their bios on a disk? If so I'm probably screwed.

I know you can download both disks from HP.com for that. They did have the diagnostic partition on the hard drive. You can boot up to the floppy for entering the bios. If at sometime you wipe the hard drive and reinstall, put the partition on first and then install the OS. Hope that helps.
    Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water.

Follow kennels advice and you should be good to go.

Kennel is on the right track.

Sit in the lotus position staring at a blank wall. Repeat your mantra, "Compaq ROM Paq, Compaq ROM Paq, Compaq ROM Paq, Compaq ROM Paq, ......"

It is most fun when you have to service an older mission critical server.

You turn to the owner of the server and say, "Where do you keep the ROM Paq disks?"

"Whuh? Disks? Ones that came with the server? Musta tossed em with the boxes. Were they important?"

Well folks, I was afraid I was screwed, like houseisland indicates.
    The 128 mb of mem went in nicely. The bios was triggered to ask me to save the new memory. I doubt that it will be so kind with a new video card! We shall see. It's not here yet. I bet the original setup disk wouldn't work anywaqy on fat32?!
    I did download what I thought might be the softpaq, but it still asks for a disk I don't have.

You may be abloe to remove part of the memory and trigger another entry into the bios giving you the opportunity to change things
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

That's a good idea. I'll let you know when the card comes,

Compaq used to use ctl + S, or alt or alt shift ctl S or something like that in the old days. And you had to do it at the right time, and it had a real small window of opportunity to get the keys pressed.

I'm at work right now Deadeye, but I'll try some different combinations when I get home tonite. Thanks, seems like I kind of remeber thawt too now that you mention it.

Which model DeskPro 2000 are we talking about? Looks like there are about 14 to choose from. http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Looku...y=deskpro+2000

Also, you can find some General Reference manuals for the DeskPro 2000 Series here:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...SeriesId=96252

Maintenance & Service Guide for DeskPro 2000 here in .pdf format: (2.74MB)
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...278785-002.pdf

Technical Reference Guide for DeskPro 2000 with MMX Technology here: (1.1MB)
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su...M_416b0797.pdf
    Last edited by DonJ; February 3rd, 2006 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Edited Manuals Links
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Compaq often used 3rd party motherboards in their workstation boxes. Sometime they were not even rebranded. It is a long shot, but if it is a 3rd party board and if you can identify it and find the "orignal" non-Compaq bios for it, you might be able to do a hotswap bios flash. I have liberated at least three boards from Compaq silliness in this manner.