Pagefile.sys not found!

Thread: Pagefile.sys not found!

Talking Pagefile.sys not found!

What would happen if a hard drive partition did not have a pagefile.sys file?
    would this cause a virual memory low error? and How do you get the system to recreate the pagefile.sys? Thanks RSN

Hi,

If you can provide more detail about your computer and the problem, people will be better able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by rsnovak
    What would happen if a hard drive partition did not have a pagefile.sys file?
    would this cause a virual memory low error? and How do you get the system to recreate the pagefile.sys? Thanks RSN
    Yep, the absence of a pagefile could cause that error. Right-click My Computer, select the Advanced tab, then the Performance tab to alter pagefile settings.

refer to thread http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=74839
    about the commit charge. Same box!

Right so you turned vitual memory off pressumably to try & stop this memory leak you think you have ?

In which case turn it back on again ! (virtual memory management - just tick the box that says 'let windows do it' {or whatever the hell it does say} - re-enabling this will recreate any files needed after a re-boot)

Your 'commit change' problem is different from the memory management done here.

Now as for what might cause excessive 'commit change' when using office, the number one suspect is often things stored in in your clipboard, which office likes to make available to every program on your machine for some reason, instead of just for itself - thus you can close word say, but still have a load of stuff 'needing' to get kept in memory (you can just turn off the office clipboard feature which helps).

None of this commit change stuff matters really as long as you have enough disk space available, for your swapfile/pagefile to grow into, unless of course you turn windows memory management off, & then you are making matters complicated !

Angry

I did not turn off the virtual memory, as for as I know there is no way to turn it completely off in 2000 pro. In the virtual memory management you can only increase or decrease the size of the paging file. There is also no option to let windows manage it either! So if you can't turn it off, where did my pagefile.sys go?

And far as the commit charge with office goes, I uninstalled office and still the commit charge gets so high I get low virt memory. Then a out of virt memory and the system locks up.
    Last edited by rsnovak; February 7th, 2006 at 04:43 PM.

Right so I was thining that xp/win2k were the same in this respect, but you are right, they aren't, slightly different options .. this is what you get in w2k;-

Now you still can still stop using a pagefile even in w2k - though conceptually you are right you can't really ever turn off 'virtual memory', as physcical memory is often adressed in a virtual way to make programming considerations easier ..

You need to know the reg key though, which is;
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro lSession Manager\Memory Management, & an example of the subkeys for that might be D:\pagefile.sys 700 700 (page file is on d: with a minimum & maximum size of 700mb) - all blanks here is the same as 'turning it off' in xp - maybe this is the issue or a corrupted pagefile ? (in which case either reboot from another source & delete it, or use the 'clear pagefile on shutdown' option & see if that helps)

If none of that is of any help, this tool won't fix anything, but its better than task manager for figuring matters out ;- Page File Monitor for Windows XP (this one works in w2k as I just tried it) - we need to figure what's boosting the commit change so much, since you've eliminated office as a possibility.

Exclamation

Well the pagefilemon won't run entirely....it gives me the shortcut applet then when I press ok its disapears. as for the pagefile.sys reg key has no zero's just the applied settings 753 - 1512 for all three drives. The only place I could find the clear pagefile option was in the reg I change it from a zero to a 1.....just awaiting a reboot which probably be in the morning.....oh by the way the pagefilemon does work on my pc just not the problem pc.
    Last edited by rsnovak; February 8th, 2006 at 02:46 PM.