Blue screen of death (BSOD)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blue screen of death (BSOD)

Blue screen of death (BSOD)

Hi,

I'm getting the BSOD driver_irql_not_less_or_equal message. It occurs when I try to set up a vpn connection. Everything is fine until I try to connect. Then wham I get the BSOD. I realize that I have a driver conflict but with so many drivers loaded how do I isolate which driver is causing the problem? I mean, how do I find which drivers I have and then how do I disable them to see which one is causing the problem? I'm thinking I might try disabling them 5 at a time or 10 at a time depending on how many I have. Also, which drivers should I NOT disable? I'm guessing that some drivers are going to be needed to keep the machine running. Thanks for your help.

ok right after the "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" you get a load of numbers... get a copy of them and try searching on www.support.microsoft.com that should help you find out what the problem is... if not post the code here and will try and help.
    Crispey
    Burnt to a Crisp!

Bsod

Crispey,

I only get the BSOD when I try to use VPN. I've never used it before so I never had an issue. First time I try to use it Bam WAM thank you BSOD! Now, here's the full text of what I get:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_THEN_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If the problem continues disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components restart your computer press F8 to select advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
    ***stop: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
    physical memory dump complete
    contact a supreme being for help

I am at a complete loss as to what to do. Do I need to reinstall everything on my computer?? Help is greatly appreciated. Is there any other information that I can get you to help diagnois this problem?

RSS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293077/en-us ---> well old Bill Gates says "Disable all third-party filter drivers, such as backup programs, virus scanning programs, and disk utilities." and " Make sure that you are using hardware that appears on the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). To view the latest Windows HCL, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hwdq/hcl/ (http://www.microsoft.com/hwdq/hcl/) "

Note: This issue can occur when the Driver Verifier feature is enabled and a driver has used an improper address. Note that the driver that is causing this issue may be listed in the error message.

also a VPN site with some common errors... http://www.chicagotech.net/vpn.htm
    Crispey
    Burnt to a Crisp!

Make sure the VPN application that you are using is compatible with your operating system. In many instances there are different versions for win98,me,2k,xp...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Crispey, I need more detailed help

Crispey,

How can I determine what 3rd party filter drivers I'm running? Once I have a list of what drivers I'm running how do I disable them? Again, where do I go or how do I create a complete list of all the drivers that I am running? How can I determine whch ones I should disable - don't I need some drivers to make the computer run? and , how do you disable a driver, for that matter if I disable a driver, how do I go about enableing it again? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crispey
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293077/en-us ---> well old Bill Gates says "Disable all third-party filter drivers, such as backup programs, virus scanning programs, and disk utilities." and " Make sure that you are using hardware that appears on the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). To view the latest Windows HCL, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hwdq/hcl/ (http://www.microsoft.com/hwdq/hcl/) "

Note: This issue can occur when the Driver Verifier feature is enabled and a driver has used an improper address. Note that the driver that is causing this issue may be listed in the error message.

also a VPN site with some common errors... http://www.chicagotech.net/vpn.htm

Crispey, come on, let's get serious

Crispey,

I took a look at the pages you sited. MSFT HCL. Basically not very helpful as I can't tell what I have or what's causing a conflict. You have the horse in front of the cart. I first need to determine what's causing the conflict. Can you help me figure out what's causing the conflict? It seems to me I first have to create a list of all the drivers I have running that may be causing the conflict. Then I have to seperate the list between the drivers that are expendable and the ones that I absolutetly must have to run the machine. Then start disabling drivers until I get the vpn connection to work. Since it is the vpn connect that causes the bsod are there drivers that go with vpn? How can I find them. I need a plan of attack. Can you help me create one? your last email doesn't help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rss
    Crispey,

How can I determine what 3rd party filter drivers I'm running? Once I have a list of what drivers I'm running how do I disable them? Again, where do I go or how do I create a complete list of all the drivers that I am running? How can I determine whch ones I should disable - don't I need some drivers to make the computer run? and , how do you disable a driver, for that matter if I disable a driver, how do I go about enableing it again? Thanks

ceebee, comeon a little more specification

ceebee your email isn't really helping. I need to know what to look for? What specific steps would you go through to create a plan of attack? Would you try to figure out what's causing the conflict or would you do something else? If you would go down this road, how would you do it? Do you need to create a list of drivers that you're using? How would you do that? Would you start disabling them? How would you do that....etc. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee
    Make sure the VPN application that you are using is compatible with your operating system. In many instances there are different versions for win98,me,2k,xp...

What Operating system do you have? you need to have a look at your device manager.. in win xp for example you can get to it many ways try Start>settings Control Panel>System> then choose the Hardwawre tab, click Device Manager this lists all the Dvice installed on your PC.. if any are not working correctly it will be apparent by a exclamation mark in a yellow box.. to disable these you simply right click on the item and choose Disable.. before you get into all that though i suggest you check your running the right software on your PC. reinstall it. i think yu should take into account what CEEBEE said.. you might simply be running the wrong VPN Application for your O/S ... hope this helps
    Crispey
    Burnt to a Crisp!

What VPN app are you using? What O/S? Check with tour company's IT dept. to make sure that the app is compatible with your O/S, or check the app vendor's website for an update. That is the *first* thing to do. If you are using for example a version designed for Win98 on WinXP, a crash is not surprising.
    Since you are only experiencing crashes when you start the VPN, I would focus on the VPN app and the network card drivers (you may want to update those too...). Also if you are using any third-party firewall try disabling it first and then attempt the connection. But again, the first suspect is the VPN app.

Hi still need something concrete

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help but I need something concrete. Here's where I am. This is a XP pro service pak 2 machine. I checked the device manager and everything looks fine. I have no idea what VPN software/harware I am running. All I did was when setting up a new connection with network connections told it to create a VPN connection and gave it the address I was told to by the school I am trying to connect to.

I would love to follow your suggestions but can you please suggest something that I can follow? I can't believe it makes sense to disable all the drivers in device manager - if I did that how would the machine run. You get my point I'm sure. Here's a picture of what the device manager looks like: (I've uploaded 3 jpgs that show my device manager) What would you disable and how would yuu find out what VPN applications I'm running - either vpn hardware or software, again all I did was use XP network connections. Thanks again

What VPN app are you using? What O/S? Check with tour company's IT dept. to make sure that the app is compatible with your O/S, or check the app vendor's website for an update. That is the *first* thing to do. If you are using for example a version designed for Win98 on WinXP, a crash is not surprising.
    Since you are only experiencing crashes when you start the VPN, I would focus on the VPN app and the network card drivers (you may want to update those too...). Also if you are using any third-party firewall try disabling it first and then attempt the connection. But again, the first suspect is the VPN app.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Crispey - see the update?

[
    Crispey, I'm not sure if you get the updated message if I reply to Ceebee so please take a look at what I told him. Your help is greatly appreciated as I have no where else to get help on this one.

Facts:

XP Pro Service pak 2
    device manager jpgs uploaded
    just using xp network connections to create vpn connection

Problems:

What do I disable, How do I find out what VPN soft/hard ware I'm using

QUOTE=crispey]What Operating system do you have? you need to have a look at your device manager.. in win xp for example you can get to it many ways try Start>settings Control Panel>System> then choose the Hardwawre tab, click Device Manager this lists all the Dvice installed on your PC.. if any are not working correctly it will be apparent by a exclamation mark in a yellow box.. to disable these you simply right click on the item and choose Disable.. before you get into all that though i suggest you check your running the right software on your PC. reinstall it. i think yu should take into account what CEEBEE said.. you might simply be running the wrong VPN Application for your O/S ... hope this helps[/QUOTE]

Let's start by following these easy steps, just to make sure we have a "clean" start.
    -disable all network adapters in the device manager except for the one used for your connection (my feeling is that you're using the wireless one..)
    -update the drivers for the network adapter
    -run a spyware scan to make sure the system is clean (newdotnet is the first that comes to my mind as it corrupts your networking) If you have it installed, do *NOT* try to just remove it, you will end up with losing your net access completely... just let us know. Also look at add/remove programs to see if you have it installed.
    -if the system is clean disable any third-party firewall app that you may have.
    -create a new VPN connection and attempt to connect with it.
    If the above steps don't fix, we'll go deeper.
    Also look in the system event log and see the description of the crash, then post it here. This way we save some time

tried and failed

Ceebee,

I disabled 1394 and two blue tooth devices. I also tried to update the driver on the wmp54g linksys pci card. Windows says it's updated. I spoke to Linksys and they said to stay with windows if you want to use the wzc option. So I left the driver alone. I rebooted the machine and got the BSOD.

What would you suggest next? I gave you three pictures which show you all the device drivers I'm using. anything look out of place? (sorry for the print quality but this site limits the file size).

Is there an event viewer or something that would tell us what we are in conflict with?

ceebee, dmp file here

attached is the dmp file. I can't figure out with what you're suppose to read it with. Well I tried but it won't take the file name. Then I tried to change the file name but it's to big. Give me some way of getting the file to you and I'll send it. It looks like sas wants to read it but I can't figure out how to view the contents

Let's start by following these easy steps, just to make sure we have a "clean" start.
    -disable all network adapters in the device manager except for the one used for your connection (my feeling is that you're using the wireless one..)
    -update the drivers for the network adapter
    -run a spyware scan to make sure the system is clean (newdotnet is the first that comes to my mind as it corrupts your networking) If you have it installed, do *NOT* try to just remove it, you will end up with losing your net access completely... just let us know. Also look at add/remove programs to see if you have it installed.
    -if the system is clean disable any third-party firewall app that you may have.
    -create a new VPN connection and attempt to connect with it.
    If the above steps don't fix, we'll go deeper.
    Also look in the system event log and see the description of the crash, then post it here. This way we save some time