Problems with Toshiba Tecra 8200 Notebook

Thread: Problems with Toshiba Tecra 8200 Notebook

Problems with Toshiba Tecra 8200 Notebook

Hi,

I have a friend who has a few problems with her Toshiba Tecra 8200 notebook.

The first problem is sometimes the notebook will start up and sometimes it won't but the weird thing is that the point which it halts changes. Sometimes the laptop won't respond at all when the power button is pressed then it'll turn on if I pressed it again, sometimes is halts at the Toshiba post screen, sometimes at the windows xp start up screen, and sometimes it'll just halt once windows had completely started up. The only clue I have about what could be causing this is the fan inside sounds like its dying a bit but I could be totally wrong it could just be the natural sound it makes. I'm presuming notebooks must have CPU fans like desktops but if there was something wrong with that wouldn't the notebook turn itself off or keep restarting rather than just halt completely?

The second problem is that when her iPod is plugged into the USB port when the laptop is in windows the notebook will just halt completely and all I can then do is restart it. It was probably stupid of me not to try other USB devices on it too but I am guessing this is more likely to be a problem with the USB itself rather than a problem with connecting an iPod to the laptop? Are there any known issues with connecting iPods to the USB in these Toshiba notebooks?

Any help with possible problem causes and solutions would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Darren

from the sounds of it you may have a mainboard on its way out. Mainboard for one of those suckers is $500+ depending on where you live.

If you are really lucky, it may just be overheating and need a new fan. Unfortunatly getting to the fan is just as involved as getting to the mainboard to replace it. I would suggest to your friend that they take it to a shop that repairs toshiba notebooks to let them have a look at it.

Yeah I'd thought of that but shes skint that's why she's got me on the job thanks anyway though. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Darren