cannot access to network drive after successfully login
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cannot access to network drive after successfully login

cannot access to network drive after successfully login

Hello,

My Laptop runs with win 2000 and services Pack 4 and a login script is allocated to it that enable it to have access to some network drives. When log into a NT domain this morning, all network drives have a small little cross beside it that shows that it is not connected. when click onto any of the network drive, it shows an error saying:
    An error occured while reconnecting to S: \\server name\sharefolder$ microsoft windows network : The local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored.

Action taken:
    1. Restarted computer serveral times and login.( no luck)
    2. Check network cable is tightly connected.
    3. Can access to internet and ping to the router and able to see domain when double click to My computer but not able to map any network drives.

Please advise and share the knowledges.
    Thanks all
    a

Things to check:

• Can you still access the shares using the UNC from a command line or in the Windows Explorer address bar - "\\server name\sharefolder$"?
    • If you right click My Computer on your Desktop and select Disconnect Network Drives, do you see the mapped drives there already? To other shares or the correct ones?
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Can you ping the server?

Can you browse via double click <Network Places> -> <Entire Network> -> <Microsoft Windows Network> -> Domain

Can you see the Server listed?

This typically happens by not adding /persistent:no to the drive mapping lines in your batch file. It is not supplying the credentials and attempting to do the map because it sees said resource as already being mapped.

Try changing your batch file to this syntax:

net use Z: \\server\share <password> /user:domain\username /persistent:no

Then manually disconnect all of your mapped drives and run the batch file again.

If ALL of your drive mappings are handled by this same batch file, you could always add the following on the first line:

net use * /delete /y

Which will delete all of your network drives before attempting any mappings, and in that case all you would need to do it edit the batch and then run it.

If I completely missed the mark here, I apologize for the wasted time.
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Tks,

To answer :

1) Stalemate
    I cannot access using UNC command. When i disconnected all the network drive, i cannot see any network drive wne i restart my laptop and login again.

2) PBase001
    i can see my entire network and domain when i browse it.

3) Melmac
    I'll try it out and let you know.. Tks
    a

Hi Melmac,

I have tried your method and it is not working. See below whether i have did the correct thing.

net use Z: \\paper\calenda$ <password> /john:abccompany\john /persistent:no

One strange thing is that only my laptop have this problem. when i go to any other workstations with win 98 / win2000 or win xp, i have no problem loggin in using the original script file that i use to have. i believe the problem lies within the Laptop.

Any other suggestions
    a

/john:abccompany\john

should be

/user:abccompany\john

Hi,

i have make the amendment and no luck.
    Do you think the problems lies with the Laptop and the problem not lies in the server because i can see all my network drive when i log on using other workstation.

tks
    a

It is definitely an issue with your laptop. This error occurs when you are trying to map a drive letter that is already mapped to another resource. Try changing the drive letter that you are mapping and see if that changes anything. It is not a network issue. If you read the error message, where it says 'local device name', that is referring to the drive letter you are attempting to map, the particular share it is connecting to, or even the credentials required for said share, does not even come into play at this point.

When you logon to the laptop ensure that it shows the proper domain in the domain box and not local.
    Have you checked that the proper IP info is being handed out by the DHCP server?
    Have you tried setting a static IP with a gateway pointing to the domain server and the right DNS servers?

When you log into the laptop locally (not connected to the domain), are there any "removable drives" in MyComputer?

hi all,

Melmac,
    Do you know how to manually remove any drive letter that is reside in registry or somewhere in my Laptop that had cause the local device not able to map.

Futuretech,
    i'm very sure that i log into the correct domain. the Laptop is running in a static IP and gateway is pointed correctly. Any other suggestions.

Reddman,
    When log in locally, only a removeable drive (thumb drive is used and the drive letter assisgn is E .

Tks
    a

The next logical step is to try mapping a different drive letter and see if it changes anything. Have you tried changing the script to map a different drive letter altogether like I suggested previously?

Check that the time /day/date is correct on the laptop.
    To verify if you are logging on to the domain and which server you are logging on, at a command prompt, type set and then press ENTER. Look for the LOGONSERVER entry. If it is set to the name of your computer, you were logged on using cached domain credentials. If you are logging on the domain, the LOGONSERVER entry is set to one of the domain controllers.

Have you looked at event viewer on the machine itself or at the event viewer on the server to see if any errors are being generated?

Hi

Melmac,
    I have tried, but no luck.

futuretech.
    I will try your method and see what is the outcome.

By the way, any other suggestions. My laptop has the latest service pack 4 for win2000.

Tks
    a