stupidest pc/work mistake you ever made? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: stupidest pc/work mistake you ever made?

I never did anything to a customers machine.

However, I had a machine come into the shop that was shutting down. I layed it on its side and started inspecting the main board. There was bulged caps. I looked closer at them, only to have them explode in my face.

When I first started working at my current job, I was charged with cleaning and updating our printserver. After playing with it for a while I somehow managed to fat-finger a delete of all 200 printers on the server. Of course the next task that was supposed to be assigned to me was to replace our non-working backup system (no backups for almost a year to that point). I had to spend quite a few overtime and weekend hours getting them all back installed.

Miq

A while ago when i gave up on contracting and started in my first full time role.. was building custom rack mounted PC's which we built from scratch including the chassis.. the first one i built had a custom power supply which needed to be wired to the mothe board. for some reason it wasnt booting up correctly so i attempted to check the normal things and found out the power supply was a bit loose in the chassis, i started dismantling it and then got almost knocked off my chair as i had forgotten to unplug the thing..and got one hell of a shock.. had a dead arm for the rest of the day...
    Crispey
    Burnt to a Crisp!

on my first PC (8088) i put an ISA card in backwards.... boy did that make a smoke show. How y ou ask? In my wisdon I hade removed the slot cover so i could mount it on the bench and have it all fit with out hanging the cards over the edge of the bench......

Smoked braad, cards, and MFM hard drive that was attached to it.

More recently: built up a Termional Server, and locked it down tight for internet access..... locked admins out to... no back ups, no back door... started build over.

Last Year: rebooted a server, thought nothing of it, noticed the qbiz service was not running on restart, so I started it..... did not realize taht it was disabled so that test data from 1 system would not get injected into 2 production systems.... AR in SAP got 780 new records that took 3 ac****ants 3 days to revrese all of the transactions... Reports in the other system were messed up, as it thought the data was succesfuly exported....