I keep having problems with my external USB drivers. One is a Maxtor onetouch 2 200gb usb drive, and the other is a Vantex NexStar 2 with a 120GB seagate.

I'm running a 2800+ AMD on an ASUS A7V600 with Win XP SP2. the drivers are all up-to-date and the 4-1 Hyperion Via drivers were recently installed as well. I recently did a fresh install with WinXP Sp2 and then did the updates.

I've copied the dxdiag stuff for the usb devices.
----------
USB Devices
-----------
+ USB Root Hub
| Vendor/Product ID: 0x1106, 0x3038
| Matching Device ID: usb\root_hub
| Lower Filters: vulfntrs
| Service: usbhub
| Driver: usbhub.sys, 8/3/2004 23:08:44, 57600 bytes
| Driver: usbd.sys, 8/4/2004 07:00:00, 4736 bytes

when the drivers are powered up they are both discovered by XP and then both go through the found new hardware dialog. XP cannot find drivers (the Maxtor is found a generic disk drive) and it can never find appropriate drivers. As a result they both appear in device manager as code 28's. However, I can still use both drivers as they appear as hard disk drivers in my computer. the one button backup button on the maxtor does not respond, and I think it is because the drive is not being recognized as a USB Maxtor device...

I've tried a reinstall of the drivers for the maxtor since it cam with some but would love some advice to get these drive/drivers to function properly.

thanks in advance