Open Office?

Thread: Open Office?

Question Open Office?

Has anyone tried Open Office? I use Microsoft Office 2003 on all my comps but when I build a computer for a customer, getting them to buy a copy of Office 2003 is a hard sell. I have read a bit on Google about inter-operatability, but am curious as to your experiences. Thanks in advance!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I use it myself (I have no need to share files with Microsoft Office users). It will happily use simple Word and Excel files without problems and also save as Word/Excel file types. The problems tend to start if you go in for fancy formatting and complex macros.
    Considering the price (FREE!!), I think it's pretty damn good. A lot of the computer shops round here load it on new boxes so the customer has something to process words straight away without coughing up lots of crinkly stuff for MS Office.
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    I've been running linux lately as my primary work machine, so I've been using OpenOffice quite bit lately. Its actually pretty nice, especially being free. As far as compatibility is concerned, I've had zero problems here, but I don't deal with anything real advanced, and don't use macros either.....But, I still keep my dual-boot machine handy with Office 2003 on it just in case.

I like the suite, but it's only compatible for very simple stuff. Sometime ago BobIROC started a thread on this topic, and it'd be worth your time to check it out. I agree with you about Office sticker shock even for the OEM versions. For all MS's antipiracy efforts, about the only people I know that don't have bootleg copies of Office are those who don't want them. Local governments and many coporations are incredibly loose with their software. A truly bad idea, but go figure.