Windows onecare uninstall afftecting network

Thread: Windows onecare uninstall afftecting network

Question Windows onecare uninstall afftecting network

I have a laptop " Connection is Wireless" and 3 desktops "Connections are Hardwired" and with Windows Onecare Live installed all my devices share files and network together without a hitch. Once I uninstall Windows Onecare Live, I loose all file sharing and networking features, and can't see the other computers in the network connections window. I am on broadband and behind a microsoft mn700 router, and am running XP Home Edittion on all devices except the dlink media lounge which is connected wirelessly also. They all connect to the internet fine just loose the networking features.

When I reinstall Windows Onecare Live, it all comes back and networks great.

Very baffeling, does anyone have any insight about this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by texasmike
    I have a laptop " Connection is Wireless" and 3 desktops "Connections are Hardwired" and with Windows Onecare Live installed all my devices share files and network together without a hitch. Once I uninstall Windows Onecare Live, I loose all file sharing and networking features, and can't see the other computers in the network connections window. I am on broadband and behind a microsoft mn700 router, and am running XP Home Edittion on all devices except the dlink media lounge which is connected wirelessly also. They all connect to the internet fine just loose the networking features.

When I reinstall Windows Onecare Live, it all comes back and networks great.

Very baffeling, does anyone have any insight about this issue?
    Well OneCare is beta so I suppose we have to expect these types of issues when installing and uninstalling.

Have you tried simply doing a system restore back to before OneCare was installed? May be the easiest way?

emr

I understood the beta risk. Unfortunately I had to clear my restore cache due to a trojan issue, so unfortunately that option would not help . I usually would not hesitate to reinstall windows, just right now I cannot do it. And I guess this issue has just peaked my curiosity, and wondered what it would be uninstalling or affecting for it to stop the network from communicating among each computer. Actually am for the most part pleased with Onecare, but was wanting to test another security suite and thats when I noticed it.

Thanks for the fast input though

Quote Originally Posted by texasmike
    I understood the beta risk. Unfortunately I had to clear my restore cache due to a trojan issue, so unfortunately that option would not help . I usually would not hesitate to reinstall windows, just right now I cannot do it. And I guess this issue has just peaked my curiosity, and wondered what it would be uninstalling or affecting for it to stop the network from communicating among each computer. Actually am for the most part pleased with Onecare, but was wanting to test another security suite and thats when I noticed it.

Thanks for the fast input though
    No, I understand; I installed it myself to try out as you do when something new, free and shiny comes along from MS.

Some questions.

You say "with Windows Onecare Live installed all my devices share files and network together without a hitch"

Does this mean they didn't before you installed OneCare?

One thing to check is that you have the Windows firewall turned on with file & printer sharing on the local subnet allowed.

Home networks aren't my strong point as I normally work with small business networks running a server so perhaps someone else here can jump in and help out.

emr

All networkingworked great before the first time I installed Onecare, and continued to work with onecare installed. Once I uninstalled onecare it ceased to work. I turned win. firewall on and off running network setup wizard with forewall on and off, tried most everything, but did not seem to work.

Contact Windows OneCare support:

https://beta.windowsonecare.com/supp...alsupport.aspx

There's a cleanup tool that will solve that problem for you.